[SOLVED] my 30 meters CAT5e only does 100MB/s

idoazoo

Reputable
Apr 8, 2017
I recently switched over to 200MB/s internet connection form my ISP but when I ran a speed test on my computer it only showed 100MB/s speed even .
though the network properties shows 1GB connection.
so I connected my laptop with a new short Ethernet cable and got speeds of 200MB/s then I connected my laptop straight to the MoCA in the other room and got 200MB/s speed. but when I connected my laptop with the 30 meter CAT5e cable I only got 100MB/s download speed.
Do I need to get other cable? and if so how do I know to avoid one the will only output 100MB/s

Cuw60MT.jpg

Solution
It likely is a damaged plug end. It takes very little for one of those wires to get loose internally. Even worse the cables will work on some machines but not others deepening on how tolerant a machine is of a poor connection.

On a long cable if you already have the ends and the tools it tends to be worth the effort to try to replace them. it is pure luck which end you try to replace first.

When you do not have the tools you are better off buying a new cable.

You are right to be concern about what cable to buy. There are massive numbers of fake cable on the market. You want a pure copper cable (no cca) and the wire size must be 22-24 (no flat or thin cable). The cable you have I suspect say awg 23 just a little...
It likely is a damaged plug end. It takes very little for one of those wires to get loose internally. Even worse the cables will work on some machines but not others deepening on how tolerant a machine is of a poor connection.

On a long cable if you already have the ends and the tools it tends to be worth the effort to try to replace them. it is pure luck which end you try to replace first.

When you do not have the tools you are better off buying a new cable.

You are right to be concern about what cable to buy. There are massive numbers of fake cable on the market. You want a pure copper cable (no cca) and the wire size must be 22-24 (no flat or thin cable). The cable you have I suspect say awg 23 just a little more down from where you took the photo so that is a good wire size. Other than that pretty standard cat5e is good enough you do not need shielding or anything special. Sometime cat6 cable is cheaper but it gives no real benefit.

A lot of people buy from a company called monoprice but they cost a bit more. You can find good cable on amazon if you search just read the fine print to be sure you get valid cable. If they do not clearly tell the wire type and gauge move on to the next vendor.

Solution