Question My $3000 pc doesn’t feel snappy and almost sluggish like it can’t keep up with basic tasks.

laser0130

Reputable
Oct 3, 2016
I can’t figure out what’s up with my pc. It’s feels almost as if there is a serious delay between performing an action and it actually happening. Any suggestions? My pc parts are:

I5 9600k @4.8 ghz

Rtx 2080 aorus water force

Aorus z390

Coolermaster rgb aio cpu cooler

Corsair vengeance 3000

Patriot 500 gb SSD (it’s like 5 years old)

WD blue 1 tb

I’m also using a:

AOC AG273QCX

A racer black widow tournament edition

Final mouse air ninja 58

Cooler master rgb mousepad

Also just bought a Samsung 970 Evo that I’m going to transfer all my files from my boot SSD over to to hopefully improve performance.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
sort of. I recently upgraded to windows 10 pro as I bought a product key for pro on accident so it upgraded itself to pro. Idk if that counts or not.

I'm not sure what "sort of" means. If, when building this PC, you didn't format your hard drive and do a full, fresh reinstall, you need to do that now. If this wasn't done, then that's your next step before looking at any other problem. Windows installs are not Lego; they are not modular and just slapping an install with all your old drivers and installs into a new PC with new hardware is just begging for problems like this.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok, do you recommend I reset my system to factory settings in order to refresh the install or how do I go about doing this? Thanks for your replies btw.

No, because the factory settings are going to be from your old PC. You want everything wiped and then do a full install on an empty hard drive.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

This may not be your problem, but it's extremely difficult to give you a diagnosis without this issue eliminated from the equation.

laser0130

Reputable
Oct 3, 2016
Might as well get one of the faster NVME drives for your fresh install. They are so cheap right now, less than $80 for 500GB and even 1TB is less than $150. Should speed things up nicely.
Yeah I bought a 970 evo and haven’t installed it yet... planned on putting the fresh install on that.