[SOLVED] My 3090 is severely underperforming.

Dec 26, 2020
I recently got a 3090 for christmas and my card is underperforming. I have a ryzen 9 3900x as my cpu. Can someone please help me, I would appreciate it a lot.

Solution
When in game what speed (GHz) is your cpu running at? I still think it could be throttled by that motherboard.

Take a look on YouTube for Firtnite AMD FPS boost. Its a game that needs tweaking to get the most from an AMD cup.
Dec 26, 2020
Please provide full pc spec?
What resolution are you running?
What games and what FPS are you getting?
Are the gpu drivers up to date?
Is this a new build or did you just upgrade the gpu?

We need information to try and help you.

Motherboard: rog strix b450-f gaming
Ram: corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb (2x8gb) ddr4 3200mhz
Cpu cooler: nzxt kraken x62
Storage: 1tb wd blue hard drive
Cpu: ryzen 9 3900x
Gpu: rtx 3090
Case: nzxt h500i
Psu: evga 600w power supply (I will be upgrading this to a 800w psu, because 600 is a little on the low side with the parts I have right now)

I play on 1656x1080, in fortnite I’m getting anywhere from 100-220 with the lowest settings and performance mode turned on. I was getting that same range. I also have updated and reinstalled the cpu and gpu drivers. The build is about 8-9 months old, but I upgradted the gpu and cpu on christmas.

Which exact EVGA psu is it? If it’s one of there low quality units you are playing Russian Roulette every time you switch on the pc, I would not use it until a high quality 750-850w is installed.

Normally I would ask next that you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results but with an inadequate psu that is dangerous. My advice is get a new psu, if problems persists then we can investigate. Getting the system to run properly with inadequate psu would be risky.

Reactions: RodroX

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
Motherboard: rog strix b450-f gaming
Ram: corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb (2x8gb) ddr4 3200mhz
Cpu cooler: nzxt kraken x62
Storage: 1tb wd blue hard drive
Cpu: ryzen 9 3900x
Gpu: rtx 3090
Case: nzxt h500i
Psu: evga 600w power supply (I will be upgrading this to a 800w psu, because 600 is a little on the low side with the parts I have right now)

I play on 1656x1080, in fortnite I’m getting anywhere from 100-220 with the lowest settings and performance mode turned on. I was getting that same range. I also have updated and reinstalled the cpu and gpu drivers. The build is about 8-9 months old, but I upgradted the gpu and cpu on christmas.
I would just like to note your running fornite at all low and running at lower then native res, which puts a lot more tax on your CPU then GPU, set your settings to high and see if you get a performance increase!

Reactions: Phaaze88
I would just like to note your running fornite at all low and running at lower then native res, which puts a lot more tax on your CPU then GPU, set your settings to high and see if you get a performance increase!
Missed that. Well no big surprise but it may be a good thing keeping the gpu load low. Fortnite is not a gpu heavy game, it’s more cpu reliant. What cpu did you have before? To utilise a 3090 you need to run gpu intensive games at 1440p or higher.

Dec 26, 2020
I got a new psu and ran a bench mark on 3d mark and got a score of 12,199. (3d mark score) I’m also getting really good frames in every other game I play but not fortnite on low settings. I tried playing on higher settings with 1440p and I got really good fps when I did that. The thing is for comp I can’t play on high settings or 1440p, I need to play on the lowest settings with 1656x1080 as my res because on the higher settings it’s harder to see people end game and harder to fight people. Any tips on how I can get better fps on low settings. My friend he has a 2080ti with a i9 9900k and he gets 220+ in game on the lowest settings with 1656x1080.

I got a new psu and ran a bench mark on 3d mark and got a score of 12,199. (3d mark score) I’m also getting really good frames in every other game I play but not fortnite on low settings. I tried playing on higher settings with 1440p and I got really good fps when I did that. The thing is for comp I can’t play on high settings or 1440p, I need to play on the lowest settings with 1656x1080 as my res because on the higher settings it’s harder to see people end game and harder to fight people. Any tips on how I can get better fps on low settings. My friend he has a 2080ti with a i9 9900k and he gets 220+ in game on the lowest settings with 1656x1080.
Your friend has a much faster CPU than you. Your money would've been better spent on a quality PSU, a new motherboard and a better CPU for less than the cost of that wasted 3090.

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
See mate I have a 9700k and a 3070 get around 300+ fps all game, I play @1080p with everything apart from View Distance and textures on all low. For those two I put them to the max so that it utilised as much GPU as possible. If you really only wanted to play fortnite at that low of a resulotion you brought the WRONG GPU.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I've also been having performance problems with my new evga 3070 xc3 ultra, also have a b450f gaming board and a weak or cheap PSU! I noticed that when the power draw for the GPU went above 200w the GPU was throttled down, sometimes down to 0% usage! Stutter and lag and frame drops during gameplay. All this was solved by lowering my GPU clock to 1600mhz. Now I get consistent frame rates, no lag or stutter @ 4k. New PSU has been ordered. I know people don't like these b450 boards for some reason but with good airflow my vrm never creeps above 60c.

My 3d mark score is 23000.

I forgot to mention before the under clock my GPU usage never went above 70% and after my GPU is a constant 100% and CPU around 30%.

Last edited:

Frankie4Fingarz

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
I've also been having performance problems with my new evga 3070 xc3 ultra, also have a b450f gaming board and a weak or cheap PSU! I noticed that when the power draw for the GPU went above 200w the GPU was throttled down, sometimes down to 0% usage! Stutter and lag and frame drops during gameplay. All this was solved by lowering my GPU clock to 1600mhz. Now I get consistent frame rates, no lag or stutter @ 4k. New PSU has been ordered. I know people don't like these b450 boards for some reason but with good airflow my vrm never creeps above 60c.

My 3d mark score is 23000.

I forgot to mention before the under clock my GPU usage never went above 70% and after my GPU is a constant 100% and CPU around 30%.
Just curious how does your card perform in 4k bit sceptical about it, but thinking about getting myslef a nice 4k monitor!

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Just curious how does your card perform in 4k bit sceptical about it, but thinking about getting myslef a nice 4k monitor!

I can't really say. My display is only 60hz so I have my FPS cap set @60 and the card performs well with all settings on ultra, But I couldn't tell you what sort of frame rate you would get above that.

Before going for the 3070 I watched a couple of vids. It didnt top 100fps in any of the titles they tested it on, with all settings on ultra! If you're expecting the same sort of frame rate you get from 1080 or even 1440 you're probably going to be disappointed.