Question My 3600Mhz 32GB RAMs Don't Run Above 2933Mhz

Apr 1, 2022
Hello,

I got an i5 11600k & RTX 3070 System with a pair of 16GB 3600Mhz Gskill Hynix RAM.

No matter what I do, I couldn't be able to run them over 2933Mhz.

Here are the solutions I tried:
  1. MOBO is up-to-date. F8a.
  2. Tried on 1. and 3. Sticks, succeeded at 3600mhz but wasn't stable at all. Crashed repeatedly. While on those sticks, I tried till 1.45 Volt and different timings, didn't succeed either.
  3. MOBO suggests them on 2. and 4. sticks, I've located them so.
  4. Optimized defaults loaded and xmp activated, didn't work.
  5. Tried to set everything manually as suggested
  6. Tried between 1.35v and 1.45v
  7. Tried VSOC 1.150v
  8. Tried a lot of different minor settings on BIOS
  9. I did read this guide completely: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4 OC Guide.md
In substance, it doesn't work above 2933mhz no matter what I did. I put more than 15 hours into this, and I am actually not a computer newbie.

What odd is, it did work on 2933mhz with 1.45v and 1.35v both. So this is not a voltage problem.

People on the internet are able to OC their ram with the exact same RAM.

My system is 3 months old, components are brand new

I am normally not a forum person, but this issue left me desperate for help.

Anybody has a suggestion? I would be really glad for some wise advice. :)

Thank you very much!

Please see my actual CPU-Z Informations below:

Apr 1, 2022
You said tried on 1 and 3, when running 2 sticks it should be 2 and 4 (A2 & B2).

Yes, I tried them on 2 and 4, it didn't work above 2933 at first. Then I tried them on A1 and B1, they worked on 3600mhz but terribly unstable. Crashed games repeatedly etc.

Then I put them back on A2 and B2, they didn't go over 2933mhz again. Tried multiple solutions, voltage between 1.35 and 1.45 etc. didn't work.

Strange. This is indeed a matched kit, and moreover your motherboard is on the GSkill QVL list for this RAM.

At this stage, I would redo a clear CMOS , just to restart from a good base.
Put the DIMMs in A2 and B2
And after that, just try to activate XMP without any other manipulation

Apr 1, 2022
Strange. This is indeed a matched kit, and moreover your motherboard is on the GSkill QVL list for this RAM.

At this stage, I would redo a clear CMOS , just to restart from a good base.
Put the DIMMs in A2 and B2
And after that, just try to activate XMP without any other manipulation

That CMOS thing is a bit errand for me, because I have to remove the graphics card etc. but I will try that for you now. I'm back in 20 minutes.

Apr 1, 2022
I more and more lean to the fact that these RAM could be defective.
On paper they should work at 3600MT/S with your mobo / CPU. Obviously they don't.
I would ask for an exchange at alternate.de

Actually, that's my second ram exchange. The first one was because of the "unknown" ram issue. CPU-Z and other programs couldn't identify my rams. I also bought them from alternate.

So, yeah, I will try to test another rams in the future. Maybe they are defective indeed.

Apr 1, 2022
I more and more lean to the fact that these RAM could be defective.
On paper they should work at 3600MT/S with your mobo / CPU. Obviously they don't.
I would ask for an exchange at alternate.de

Hey @egda23 , I bought a new pair of RAMs. Corsair 3600mhz 18CL. I plugged them and activated the XMP, it didn't work. Then I did manually set the voltage and timings, it did work without a problem.

So, RAM changing worked! But manually, not with XMP.

It's really weird that my previous 2 stack pair of RAMs were defective. This pair is my 3rd pair. :D

Anyway, thank you very much!

Reactions: egda23