Hello everyone

I have this Rig almost a year now

Mobo: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT @3.8 ghz

Memory : 32gb of 3200MHZ t-force

PSU : Cooler master MWE 750watt Bronze

Cpu cooler : MSI MAG 240 AIO

Case : XPG invader

my problem appeared lately like a month ago my CPU was every now and then hit 4.7 while playing games like RDR2 and barely touch the 72 degrees but now my CPU never reaches 4.7 only 3.9 and 3.8 best scenarios 4.2 and temp reaches 95 in multi core tests so fast just if i hit the button of test in cinebench 20 the temp jumps like crazy into 85 and then 95

ofc the CPU is throttling faster than before that's why it can't reach the promised boost of 4.7 i tried changing thermal paste and tried offsetting voltages tried also turning PBO off and on with no hope.

one last thing my Cinebench 20 result are matching to i7 7700 which in multi core are 6400 , single core 480 i know it's too low but all i am asking what happened to my cpu made it look like something holding it off despite the fact it has an AIO cooler how on earth the temp reach 95 and 85.

Help me please.

Thanks

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello everyone

I have this Rig almost a year now

Mobo: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT @3.8 ghz

Memory : 32gb of 3200MHZ t-force

PSU : Cooler master MWE 750watt Bronze

Cpu cooler : MSI MAG 240 AIO

Case : XPG invader

my problem appeared lately like a month ago my CPU was every now and then hit 4.7 while playing games like RDR2 and barely touch the 72 degrees but now my CPU never reaches 4.7 only 3.9 and 3.8 best scenarios 4.2 and temp reaches 95 in multi core tests so fast just if i hit the button of test in cinebench 20 the temp jumps like crazy into 85 and then 95

ofc the CPU is throttling faster than before that's why it can't reach the promised boost of 4.7 i tried changing thermal paste and tried offsetting voltages tried also turning PBO off and on with no hope.

one last thing my Cinebench 20 result are matching to i7 7700 which in multi core are 6400 , single core 480 i know it's too low but all i am asking what happened to my cpu made it look like something holding it off despite the fact it has an AIO cooler how on earth the temp reach 95 and 85.

Help me please.

Thanks
Cooler pump failing would be the first thing that comes to mind if you have it mounted correctly.

iStungu

Prominent
Oct 10, 2021
Try flipping the radiator upside-down. IF it doesn't fit that way, then hold it that way manually while you check thermals.

If it still fails to cool the cpu, RMA it.
I will try but just out of curiosity is it common for the pump to fail in say that cooler or is it a common defect in any AIO , just to stay away from MSI if that's the case

iStungu

Prominent
Oct 10, 2021
It can happen in any AIO. The pump is one of an AIO's biggest weaknesses.
i tried flipping the AIO well the results are slightly better in terms of boost now it reaches the 4.5 Ghz with cinebench of single core 510
and multicore of 6800

i know cinebench is just bunch of numbers i shouldn't care about , but the thing is i saw what 3900XT can reach in cinebench and in gaming and i feel that i am not using it's full potential

Anyway thanks for the flipping the AIO tip , any other advices ?

however it still goes to 95 in multi core stress test , so what do you think?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Try remounting the cpu block and make sure the backplate doesn't have any wiggle room.
The mounting bracket for AM4 is crap compared to the Intel one; just 2 points to secure the cooler to the cpu Vs 4 for the Intel one. The former is harder to get just right in comparison.

iStungu

Prominent
Oct 10, 2021
well it's mounted perfectly i was changing thermal paste "Arctic MX4" and i made sure it's well stationed , do you think i should buy a new AIO , if so what is the best one ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I would still suggest trying to remount backplate and cooler, since they don't cost anything.

do you think i should buy a new AIO
Do you have a backup cooler that isn't the stock Wraith one? I believe one should have a backup cooler when using AIOs.
When they do start causing grief, there's not a lot that can be done other than to use a different cooler.

Msi's Coreliquid Rs have their pump in the radiator(that black cube you see on the rad). This has an effect on where you can mount them.
The pump should always be immersed in fluid... then again, if it's downright broken on you, it won't matter.

if so what is the best one ?
There really isn't one. The market has been over-saturated with a bunch of the same ol, same ol crap... all that really sets them apart is the fans used and visual accents.
If you're running a recent model, you're really not missing much...
No RGB: Arctic's Liquid Freezer II. They did recently launch an ARGB fan version though.
RGB: Corsair seems to be the go-to for that one. You do have to use their software to operate though, which irks me to no end.
Honorable mention to Alphacool's Eisbaer, Eisbaer LT, and Eisbaer Aurora. Those are some of the handful of models that are still user-serviceable, as well as being a full copper loop. Downsides would be pricing and availability.

iStungu

Prominent
Oct 10, 2021
I would still suggest trying to remount backplate and cooler, since they don't cost anything.

Do you have a backup cooler that isn't the stock Wraith one? I believe one should have a backup cooler when using AIOs.
When they do start causing grief, there's not a lot that can be done other than to use a different cooler.

Msi's Coreliquid Rs have their pump in the radiator(that black cube you see on the rad). This has an effect on where you can mount them.
The pump should always be immersed in fluid... then again, if it's downright broken on you, it won't matter.

There really isn't one. The market has been over-saturated with a bunch of the same ol, same ol crap... all that really sets them apart is the fans used and visual accents.
If you're running a recent model, you're really not missing much...
No RGB: Arctic's Liquid Freezer II. They did recently launch an ARGB fan version though.
RGB: Corsair seems to be the go-to for that one. You do have to use their software to operate though, which irks me to no end.
Honorable mention to Alphacool's Eisbaer, Eisbaer LT, and Eisbaer Aurora. Those are some of the handful of models that are still user-serviceable, as well as being a full copper loop. Downsides would be pricing and availability.
Thanks for all the tips , i guess i will try to remount the cooler again and apply paste for 6th time probably .

By any chance could that be a bad cpu ?

Ditto on a backup cooler!!!!

I have tried Mx4 but haven't had any good luck with temps.
My longtime go to tmi was Thermaltake TG-7 which lowered temps for me vs Mx4. Now I use Noctua Nt-H1.
If you are here in the Us Best Buy's carry the TG-7 for $8-9 a tube and 2 Corsair pastes $8-14 a tube.

Is that side mount considered the front in the case specs?

iStungu

Prominent
Oct 10, 2021
Ditto on a backup cooler!!!!

I have tried Mx4 but haven't had any good luck with temps.
My longtime go to tmi was Thermaltake TG-7 which lowered temps for me vs Mx4. Now I use Noctua Nt-H1.
If you are here in the Us Best Buy's carry the TG-7 for $8-9 a tube and 2 Corsair pastes $8-14 a tube.

Is that side mount considered the front in the case specs?
yep i did it in front now thermals are even better and i ditched the MX4 instead i put the one came with MSI AIO cooler but still in any stress test it jumps to 95 in a blink dunno what is that really ?

never had this issue before it is a sudden thing

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I will try but just out of curiosity is it common for the pump to fail in say that cooler or is it a common defect in any AIO , just to stay away from MSI if that's the case
Pump failure can happen on all of them and all the different brands out their the pump used is made by just a few companies.
The type of paste used will make very little difference.

If you have the stock cooler that came with the processor try it.