my 3dmark 2001 score

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I believe the LE is the best buy right now for a budget card which performs more like a nVidia GTS in 32 bit high resolution mode. Drivers from ATI are way better than 8 months ago, most problems are minor in scope. Great card for Win9x or W2K either on a via KT133, KT133A, AMD 760 chipset, now the ALI Magic Chipset supports the Radeon and Intel chipsets BX and up. Should work fine on the VIA KT266 chipset when release. Not sure about Via Apolo Pro chipsets. Also Radeon does well in BEOS, but Linux sufferes. Don't recommend on a AMD k6-2(3) or any system slower than 500mhz or the older Athlon chipsets AMD 750 or VIA's KX-133. Not that it won't run but you have a greater chance of having hardware problems. Myself I am looking for a good linux card for a second system I am building, unfortunately the Radeons do not have much driver support there. The KyroII in the 3d Prophet 4500 is intriguing but not much feedback has come from users on their specific machine setups, so I can't say to much about it. If it had good linux drivers I would buy it (either one).

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hey, thanks. All the extra information you often provide make your post all that much more enjoyable.

I noticed on Pricewatch that some vendors are taking advanced orders on the Hercules 3D prophet 4500 (Kyro II based). They are asking for $180. What's up with that? I thought they were $150 retail and hoping for lower prices on the street.

G

vendors allways try to capitalize on pre orders, they are allways higher than price at release, if you can, hold off a few weeks or up to a month and the prices should drop. Personally I've been reading up information for months about my new system and I can wait a bit longer.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Thanks. From all the rave reviews the KyroII is getting the demand must be high. Prices should come down in a month or so after release and when people start finding problems. Looks to be a very impressive card. A little bit of price gouging I believe causing an inflated price.