my 3TB seagate expansion desktop drive has stopped working

Dorrie1

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi there I have a 3TB seagate expansion desktop drive and it has just stopped working. The blue led light i'snt coming on nor does it hum when connected to the laptop or desk top computers. Is there a way to fix it. I thought it may have been the usb cable but i have replaced it and still no joy. Cheers Doris

Solution
Damage like this requires proper repairs. Some users are able to repair it by swapping the damage plug(or re soldering if it just came loose), but if you are not comfortable you may want to see about getting it fixed.

If it is under warranty repair may be covered as well.

I would hold the wire however it is require to get files off the drive before sending it for repair if you can. Many times repair = replace so data would be gone.
Ensure the power supply is fully connected and getting power. All the 3TB drives I have seen need power since they are 3.5 inch.

If you have a multi meter you may be able to ensure the power supply is putting out the right voltage. You must take care not to short anything when testing as that can cause all kinds of issues.

Dorrie1

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

thanks. power is on but I'm starting to think it may be the port on the hard drive as i got it to power up just briefly before it went off. I think it may be loose or something because if i hold the cable a certain way it comes on till i move away from it. then it stops

Damage like this requires proper repairs. Some users are able to repair it by swapping the damage plug(or re soldering if it just came loose), but if you are not comfortable you may want to see about getting it fixed.

If it is under warranty repair may be covered as well.

I would hold the wire however it is require to get files off the drive before sending it for repair if you can. Many times repair = replace so data would be gone.

Solution

Dorrie1

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Thanks for your help. I will take it in to be looked at but will try downloading everything on to my backup hard drive. Cheers.

Emorej2016

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
hello there mods,

i did encountered the same problem as Dorrie, i already used and put some files on my drive and then is shuts down. i've found out that my 12vdc adapter is not working or it is already defective. i repaired it, replaced a now transformer on its adapter now i got 12vdc output with 1.5amp. but still my seagate unable to work.

i've also tried replacing the USB cable but still it doesnt work.

Emorej2016

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
hello nukemaster,

i've repaired it and it output 12vdc 1.5amp sir.

i think the enclosure is defective already. i do hope so.. so that i can still use my 4tb

If it is under warranty, You would be best to contact Seagate.

If it is out of warranty you may be able to open the enclosure and remove the drive to install inside of a computer. This will allow file recovery if it was just an enclosure issue.

Some drives have the USB built in while others are normal SATA drives with a small board that coverts usb to sata.