[SOLVED] My 4 year old PC keeps restarting with no obvious trigger. The restarts happen in different ways too.

Pinz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
I built my PC in 2017 and it's been running fine with no issues until now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor

MOBO: ASRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory

SSD: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card

PSU: Corsair CSM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

The problems happened in the following order and I'm not certain if they are all correlated or independent of each other. Starting around two months ago my mouse and keyboard would stop responding randomly. That issue happened a couple of times and I would fix it by restarting the PC by holding the power button down. After that, starting about two weeks ago, my PC would become completely unresponsive and would freeze exactly as it was the moment it stopped responding. It didn't crash when that happened just the exact same images that were on the screen when it happened were stuck there. That issue happened twice and I simply restarted my PC by holding the power button each time. Now the most recent problem is my PC will randomly restart. It started last night and has happened 4 or 5 times since the initial restart. The first two restarts were exactly that. Normal restarts that behaved exactly as if I had clicked the restart PC button from the windows menu. The restarts since then have been the exact same except for the fact that when the PC starts rebooting I don't get any signal to either of my monitors. The PC will shutdown and I can hear it rebooting but my monitors will stay blank until I hold the power button down and reboot the PC manually. As far as I can tell there is nothing in particular that should trigger any of the issues and it seems to be totally random. They have happened from an idle PC, browsing the web and watching YouTube videos, and playing games like Valorant and League of Legends.
I don't really know where to even begin all I do know is that nothing in the PC has been seeming to overheat as I've checked with HWMonitorPro.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated as I currently don't even know where to begin. Thank you.

Solution
Getting to the bottom of the boot issue is a part of it, and it seems to me that some folks are working on that.
Of note to mention, each time you hit the power button like that, it's going to list an Event 41 which commonly leads back to things like a bad PSU. Of course, that may not really be the root cause, but the report from you power cycling that way.
The other aspect of powering your system down like that is that you have a tendency to ever so slightly corrupt the system over time doing this. It's a similar situation to having RAM that is messed up. Just over the course of time it makes the OS unstable.

You also mention overheating, which can readily cause such issues, and along with what I mention above could be the whole...

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: Corsair CSM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply - how old? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining.

Event Viewer - yes check that.

Also check Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the time format can be very revealing.

Remember, with either tool, that your can right-click any given error for more detail.

That detail may or may not be helpful.

For the most part if you are seeing increasing numbers of varying errors that, in my mind, makes the PSU a primary suspect.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Getting to the bottom of the boot issue is a part of it, and it seems to me that some folks are working on that.
Of note to mention, each time you hit the power button like that, it's going to list an Event 41 which commonly leads back to things like a bad PSU. Of course, that may not really be the root cause, but the report from you power cycling that way.
The other aspect of powering your system down like that is that you have a tendency to ever so slightly corrupt the system over time doing this. It's a similar situation to having RAM that is messed up. Just over the course of time it makes the OS unstable.

You also mention overheating, which can readily cause such issues, and along with what I mention above could be the whole animal.
Do you clean your computer regularly by blowing out the dust?

Solution