My 4790k is suddenly overheating

sbaker566

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Around 2-3 years ago I installed an H110i cooler on my 4970k I tended to get around 55C in silent mode under full 100% cpu sage alone, and maybe spiking close to 70c under full load of both CPU and GPU, the higher temps I presumed due to increased in case temp from an overclocked 980TI running full tilt. A few months ago 10 minutes into game play my 3000RPM noctua fans kicked into full overdrive and when I checked temps my coolant was 43c and my cpu temps were approaching 80C, so I unscrewed the radiator, took the fans out and blew it off that seemed to help at first but soon I had the same problem, then I noticed 2 dead case fans so I replaced them and increased the speed of all case fans, again it seemed to run as cool or cooler than it first did until I put it under load, immediately my CPU temps spiked to over 85C before my coolant had even hit 30C.

I checked my voltage and they're stock with No OC, so whats going on? Is my CPU breaking down and causing increased temperature. Has my radiator leaked subtly over the years? I'm pretty confused.

Solution
It could be a variety of causes-I would start by replacing the thermal compound and making sure the heatsink is seated properly. Double-check all the connections. Is your pump running? Can you actually hear it running? There has been an influx of cases of AIOs going bad here in Toms so you could be the latest victim.
It could be a variety of causes-I would start by replacing the thermal compound and making sure the heatsink is seated properly. Double-check all the connections. Is your pump running? Can you actually hear it running? There has been an influx of cases of AIOs going bad here in Toms so you could be the latest victim.

Solution