my 4870x2 performance with crysis!?!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
It's still nice to know that you have it, I usually game with 4X, or 2X if performance is sketchy, optimally I would choose 8X, of course mostly for older titles only. 16X is just dumb, and 24X custom antialiasing....well, that's just a huge E penis.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
OP: goto www.crymod.com, download a very high quality optimizer config and most of your performance problems should go away.

The stock Crysis quality settings are anything but "badly coded" - the coding for Crysis is incredible compared to most other modern games - but by DEFAULT the game is optimized for a very long viewing distance and high level of detail on long distance objects; this greatly effects AA performance and does have an impact on non-AA performance.

Quality optimizer mods have LoD tricks in them to massively increase performance and even improve visuals in most cases at the same time.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

I gotta agree mostly, over 4xAA is usually overkill; but it can make a markable improvement depending on the game too.

It just depends on the structure of the game I guess. Games like Crysis, Stalker, Company of Heroes, cranking up AA is not really noticeable because of how dense the scenery is to begin with and how the games themselves are laid out; but in games like Grid and Half Life2 and even UT3 to an extent, where the scenery is not that dense I find quality AA modes very noticeable over standard 2x/4x