Question Should my 550w PSU be enough for a Ryzen 7 3700X + RTX 4060 ?

dpdev8989

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Edit: A Big one (Sry I didn't check it before 😅) dunno how I feel

So i just found out after disassembling my pc that it's a Cooler Master MWE 550w 80+ White😭 PSU not a Gigabyte 500w 80+ Bronze PSU (got confused here because of old PC) which is paired with my current R7 3700x + 1060 3GB GPU, my PSU should be able to handle a RTX 4060 right ?

Since 1060 is 120 watt card and 4060 is 115 watt.

Other component include
- 2 SSD (1 M.2 + 1 SATA),
- RGB Mouse, Keyboard and Mousepad
- 120mm Fans x3 (2.6w each)
- a Drawing pad

PS : don't curse me for 4060 :)

Last edited:

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
Gigabyte 500w 80+ Bronze PSU
the watts are enough, from here on, how long have you had it and at what loads has it worked, because it is bronze and not pure 500 watts, it would be good to put a quality gold one

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
If your PSU is the P550B reviewed on Tom's, it's an older low-quality "group regulated" design. This means that when you load the +12V rail heavily with the CPU and GPU, the +5V and +3.3V rail voltages will drift out of spec.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-p550b-power-supply-review/6
The Gigabyte P550B is offered at a low price, and this is its main advantage. Apart from the low EMI emissions, the compact dimensions, and the correctly set OPP, there are no other major positives for this product. It seems like Gigabyte just took an outdated platform from MEIC and put its badge on it without taking the time to test it and tune it properly.

However, we are not even sure if several of this product's significant flaws can be fixed, given the platform's old design. Besides low overall performance and bottom low efficiency, especially with light loads, the fan speed profile is highly aggressive since it has to cool the low-quality caps. The bridge rectifier doesn't use a proper heat sink, and the quality of the FETs that MEIC used is questionable. We were surprised that this unit could survive our tests, but if we pushed it a little more, it would easily break, given that there is no over-temperature protection.

Power supply performance should not be based purely on the claimed power output. Just because the P550B can supply a 3700X and RTX 4060, doesn't mean it's a good choice. The +12V ripple is high, regulation is poor, efficiency is low, the list goes on.

Even a Corsair CX550 Bronze PSU is better than the P550B and the CX550 is hardly ideal. Consider something better like a Corsair RM650 Gold PSU.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm650-power-supply,6187.html

None the less, you'll probably get several more years' use out of the P550B before it fails, even if the 5-year warranty has expired. It's up to you.

dpdev8989

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Gigabyte 500w 80+ Bronze PSU
the watts are enough, from here on, how long have you had it and at what loads has it worked, because it is bronze and not pure 500 watts, it would be good to put a quality gold one
its being almost 4 years since i got it, I have used it for some Blender rendering (still images) and also did a lot of video editing with it.

dpdev8989

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
If your PSU is the P550B reviewed on Tom's, it's an older low-quality "group regulated" design. This means that when you load the +12V rail heavily with the CPU and GPU, the +5V and +3.3V rail voltages will drift out of spec.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-p550b-power-supply-review/6
The Gigabyte P550B is offered at a low price, and this is its main advantage. Apart from the low EMI emissions, the compact dimensions, and the correctly set OPP, there are no other major positives for this product. It seems like Gigabyte just took an outdated platform from MEIC and put its badge on it without taking the time to test it and tune it properly.

However, we are not even sure if several of this product's significant flaws can be fixed, given the platform's old design. Besides low overall performance and bottom low efficiency, especially with light loads, the fan speed profile is highly aggressive since it has to cool the low-quality caps. The bridge rectifier doesn't use a proper heat sink, and the quality of the FETs that MEIC used is questionable. We were surprised that this unit could survive our tests, but if we pushed it a little more, it would easily break, given that there is no over-temperature protection.

Power supply performance should not be based purely on the claimed power output. Just because the P550B can supply a 3700X and RTX 4060, doesn't mean it's a good choice. The +12V ripple is high, regulation is poor, efficiency is low, the list goes on.

Even a Corsair CX550 Bronze PSU is better than the P550B and the CX550 is hardly ideal. Consider something better like a Corsair RM650 Gold PSU.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm650-power-supply,6187.html

None the less, you'll probably get several more years' use out of the P550B before it fails, even if the 5-year warranty has expired. It's up to you.
its not the P550B sadly, 😅, i think i should upgrade it to better one, its almost close to 4 years now, also that ATX power cable on motherboard is a pain to pull out and put in again.