[SOLVED] My 5600x keeps overheating, what cooler would be sufficient?

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
Hello,

I’ve recently bought a Ryzen 5 5600x, but it keeps running too hot for my taste (60c idle - 85c under load)
I know that the cpu could reach 95c before throttling, but I still want the temps lower.

Right now I have the Cooler Master ML120L, and would like to know what cooler would be better.

I would rather want a water cooler instead of air, which ones would be the best options?
I don’t think I could fit a big radiator like the NZXT Kraken x63 in my case.
But a bigger radiator with bigger fans is more silent, right?

I’d rather not undervolt my CPU because the tweak doesn’t sound like a proper solution.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
As you want to use a top mount radiator. The Aerocool 800 is rated for up to 240mm and the Zalman S5 is rated for 240mm.

The Aerocool 800 has a limit with a max radiator thickness of 32mm. I don't know if this is just radiator or radiator plus fan. If it is plus fan. You're going to have a very tough time with a top mount.

Note that the Zalman may also only use a 240mm radiator if your RAM is under 35mm tall. So, none of that fancy RAM with overly tall decorative heat spreaders.
https://www.zalman.com/EN/Product/ProductDetail.do?productSeq=135#none

Basically, your life is going to be much easier with front mount radiators. Even then. While the Zalman doesn't have a thickness limit...
What case do you have? As different cases have different specs as to what cooler may fit inside.

Also what’s the budget? A good water cooler costs a lot more than the equivalent big air cooler.

You should also list your country. As availability varies a lot by country. if you are not in any country listed at pcpartpicker.com. We’ll need to know some available local websites.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am running a 3600XT with a H100i 240mm rad, keeps temps cooler than a 120 can manage

depending on if thats package or core temps, I see 57 a lot on package as ryzen always peaking at there and dropping on a normal basis. Think I saw 77c under load last night.

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
What case do you have? As different cases have different specs as to what cooler may fit inside.

Also what’s the budget? A good water cooler costs a lot more than the equivalent big air cooler.
For one build I got the Aerocool Aero 800 (white)
And for another build I have the Zalman S5 White.
So could use either one of these.
For budget I’m trying to see different options, like how it looks vs size vs cooling power etc.
I liked the looks of the Kraken (x63) rgb one for example.

edit: I’m from The Netherlands

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
I am running a 3600XT with a H100i 240mm rad, keeps temps cooler than a 120 can manage

depending on if thats package or core temps, I see 57 a lot on package as ryzen always peaking at there and dropping on a normal basis. Think I saw 77c under load last night.
Those temps look much better!
I’ve got my 3600x (second build) with a Bequiet! Air cooler, without problems.
But my 5600x is my rgb build so I’d rather want water cooling.
My max budget is around the pricing of the Kraken x63.
I could pay that much if the looks and cooling performance combined make it a good buy.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you looking at package or core temps?
I use hwinfo to track my temps during day (so PC sits idle most of it) and the package temp is normally 10c warmer than actual core temps. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-hwinfo-to-track-sensor-values-on-ryzen.3693704/

I don't know how much my Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM AIO costs where you are (since I don't know where you are). Its about $AUD 190 right now.

I think its been replaced in the last year with a Capelix version, i think main difference being the rgb

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
Are you looking at package or core temps?
I use hwinfo to track my temps during day (so PC sits idle most of it) and the package temp is normally 10c warmer than actual core temps. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-hwinfo-to-track-sensor-values-on-ryzen.3693704/

I don't know how much my Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM AIO costs where you are (since I don't know where you are). Its about $AUD 190 right now.

I think its been replaced in the last year with a Capelix version, i think main difference being the rgb

I’ve got hwmonitor and was looking at individual core temps and package temps both.
But it’s the sound of the fan that’s the biggest issue I have, in combination with the high temps.
Because it sounds like a airplane crashing either at idle or load.
And I don’t want to buy another water cooler that has the same problems as this one for example.
I was thinking about a radiator that fits 2 fans 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm, do those two have big differences in cooling performance and noise?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can see 1 fan having a hard time.

I have only used a 240mm aio but 140mm fans don't have to run as fast to create the same amount of airflow, so I would get 280mm if you can fit it. The 240mm isn't overly loud in my PC, I can hear fans if I change the plan as they increase speed to reduce temps, I generally run them on the most relaxed plan and i only know they are on as I can see them moving. The only fan noise I hear are likely the exhausts.

My last case had 3 x 180mm fans, this PC is much quieter than it was for the most part. I didn't ever think to run its fans slower until about 6 months before I replaced PC.

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
I can see 1 fan having a hard time.

I have only used a 240mm aio but 140mm fans don't have to run as fast to create the same amount of airflow, so I would get 280mm if you can fit it. The 240mm isn't overly loud in my PC, I can hear fans if I change the plan as they increase speed to reduce temps, I generally run them on the most relaxed plan and i only know they are on as I can see them moving. The only fan noise I hear are likely the exhausts.

My last case had 3 x 180mm fans, this PC is much quieter than it was for the most part. I didn't ever think to run its fans slower until about 6 months before I replaced PC.

I think 280mm might fit in my aero 800 case.
But I like my Zalman S5 case more for this build actually hahaha, so it’s a tough choice that I’ll have to think about.
I think that a 360 radiator wouldn’t be that smart because I would then have to mount it on the front side instead of the upper side, which is worse for the cooling because of the airbubbles and tubes that would be at the top instead of the bottom.
And I’ve seen a video from Linus tech tips that the corsair 240mm was even better than the 360mm too.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i just changed my aio fan plan to zero rpm and I couldn't tell the difference in sound with them on or off, so at 700rpm I can't hear them at all over my exhaust fans (which probably need a clean since it is all i can hear from pc).

Only on water would I happily turn the cpu fan off while PC is running, although it was only long enough to hear if I could tell any difference.

the die on a 3600 isn't big enough to benefit from more water cooling but I am not sure about the 5600, though thats really more a question of the block and not the rad. I expect a 240/280 would be enough for that CPU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't normally use amazon reviews but
Excuse my English, but I'm Canadian and it's a lot easier to talk about PCs in my own language.
This case is very good looking but has abysmal airflow. My system temps are quite literally double when using it. The RGB front panel looks really cool, but despite having a (very) small vent on the side it's solid plastic and the front fans get almost no air at all.
The case comes with two fans, one at the bottom of the front panel and an RGB exhaust fan at the back. I added two more fans, one Noctua and one Corsair to the front panel for a total of three front intake fas.

Once I got all the panels on i noticed my idle temperature was about 60 degrees which is crazy considering my old case got about 30-35 degrees before. Temps would spike into the 90s when gaming, when they never went past 70 before. My cpu cooler is a corsair all-in-one liquid cooler, and I suspected that maybe my thermal paste was bad or something and this was the cause. When I took off the panel to unhook the fans I noticed the temps dropped almost 8 degrees just by taking off the back panel.
After that I removed the front panel to let those 3 120mm fans breath and the temps dropped by 20 DEGREES. Just by taking off the front panel! The pc is now sitting idle at 32 degrees with no panels on and its very obvious that if they had made the front panel anything but a solid piece of plastic this case would have been fine.
Looks nice for the price, but this case will suffocate your pc.
link

I was wondering how it got air in. Seems it doesn't.

I would consider a different case and temps might stay down.

As you want to use a top mount radiator. The Aerocool 800 is rated for up to 240mm and the Zalman S5 is rated for 240mm.

The Aerocool 800 has a limit with a max radiator thickness of 32mm. I don't know if this is just radiator or radiator plus fan. If it is plus fan. You're going to have a very tough time with a top mount.

Note that the Zalman may also only use a 240mm radiator if your RAM is under 35mm tall. So, none of that fancy RAM with overly tall decorative heat spreaders.

Basically, your life is going to be much easier with front mount radiators. Even then. While the Zalman doesn't have a thickness limit. It's still a 240mm limit. The Aerocool has 280mm front mount limit but still a 40mm thickness limit. Which will make radiators difficult if that is Radiator plus Fan.

You may look at the Corsair H100x, Kraken X53 and Corsair H100i iCUE Elite Capellix as potential good radiators. Assuming the thickness limit is meant for radiator not radiator plus fan. The Corsair are slimmer.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wouldn't use the Zalman as per my previous post. its just a hot box. Better with one that lets air in. Too many boxes that look nice but cook parts. Aerocool and mesh already sounds like better idea.

I would buy another case completely for whatever other build is.

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
i don't normally use amazon reviews but

link

I was wondering how it got air in. Seems it doesn't.

I would consider a different case and temps might stay down.

Yes I thought the same, could only see a small intake on the right side of the front panel.
But I’m not using this case for my 5600x build but my 3600x build.

Inside my 5600x build (Aero 800) I have 2 corsair fans at the front (120mm) and one on the radiator on the back (exhaust).
Currently no fans at the top, but I’ve cooled my room and got the side panel off and it still shows pretty high temps for my taste.
This is a common problem with the new gen CPU’s, maybe because these motherboards were not really designed for this CPU but rather made compatible with it. So maybe awaiting possibly new firmware and buying a cooler that’s more future proof.

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020

Basically, your life is going to be much easier with front mount radiators. Even then. While the Zalman doesn't have a thickness limit. It's still a 240mm limit. The Aerocool has 280mm front mount limit but still a 40mm thickness limit. Which will make radiators difficult if that is Radiator plus Fan.

You may look at the Corsair H100x, Kraken X53 and Corsair H100i iCUE Elite Capellix as potential good radiators. Assuming the thickness limit is meant for radiator not radiator plus fan. The Corsair are slimmer.
Thanks that clears up a lot!

Would the difference between mounted at the top and front be a lot?

Maybe I should buy another case in that case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i watched video and only intake he mentioned was on top of case which isn't right, I can sort of guess the white strip on back is intake.
I don't even know if I would put a 3600 in it. It will cook any parts you put inside it.
Bad cases like this just annoy me.

i have my 240 as intake on front of case, you could do same in the aerocool. the heat CPU creates isn't that much that it hurts anything else in pc.

in some cases its better at front

Thanks that clears up a lot!

Would the difference between mounted at the top and front be a lot?

Maybe I should buy another case in that case.

Look at the specs of any case from the manufacturer. You basically want a lot of room between the top and the motherboard. So, completed builds on PCPartpicker with the case you want is helpful. Just to see if there is a good sized gap at the top.

If your goal is good airflow. Look for cases with a mesh front. Not a glass front with tiny side vents. Some cases get around this with bottom mount fans or side mount between the motherboard and case front. Some also have a large enough front gap to compensate for the solid front.

jtk2515

Distinguished
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liqui...s=artic+cpu+cooler&qid=1616301750&sr=8-3&th=1

I would try using PBO +200 offset and undervolting your 5600x before buying a new cooler and seeing if the results are to your liking. I have 2 5600x's one is at 5.75ghz@1.38v and runs around 82-85c under full load on a 120mm rad and around 70c while gaming. The other is 4.8ghz@1.375 and runs around 63c full load on a 420mm rad. I remember running my 5600x PBO/200 offset/undervolt on the stock cooler and it was around 82-85c full load and around 75c gaming.