[SOLVED] My 700w PSU doesn't have a 12-pin connector for my Nvidia GTX 760 ?

Jun 11, 2021
I just brought a new Nvidia GTX 760 and I have a problem in terms of finding a molex to 12-pins adapter.
My 700w PSU doesn't have a 12-pin for the GPU and I don't wanna spend my money on another PSU

Do you have an alternative?

(Edited)
Sorry I mean 2 x 6-pin.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Only the new, RTX 3000 series GPUs, have 12-pin PCI-E power connector. The rest, have either 8-pin or 6-pin PCI-E connectors. And some don't have any (e.g GTX 1050). Btw, i too have GTX 760 and it has 2x 6-pin PCI-E power connectors on it.

PCI-E 6-pin:

pcie6index.jpg

PCI-E 6/8-pin:

pcie6plus2index.jpg

So, check your PSU connectors again. Also, care to share your PSU make and model (or part number)?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Not what you want to hear, but if your power supply does not have the necessary connectors for PCIE, then it wasn't designed to run your graphics card and you really should replace it. Otherwise you might be replacing it AND the rest of your computer.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: DRagor

bignastyid

Titan
But I thought it was a 700 watt psu
Thanks for the advice
A good modern PSU will be rated by it's 12v output as the main power users(cpu and gpu) use the 12v rail.
A good 700w PSU should be able to output ~58a on the 12v rail(s).
Yours is rated for 16a(192w) on the 12v rail.
A GTX 760 can use 170w just by itself and the rest of your system is going to need more than 22w from the 12v rail. So you'd be overloading the PSU and on a cheap generic PSU overloading(or really even getting close to its rating) is a very bad idea as it can end up fry some to all of the parts it powers. In the end a cheap PSU can end up being very expensive.

Thanks for the advice

Yeah. Happens all of the time. Lots of false advertising in the PSU market because there's very few with the equipment to prove a power supply is a complete bomb or not. If someone does find out, and bothers to sue them (rarely happens), they just fade into obscurity and come back as another crappy company and continues with their lies.

bignastyid

Titan
Yeah. Happens all of the time. Lots of false advertising in the PSU market because there's very few with the equipment to prove a power supply is a complete bomb or not. If someone does find out, and bothers to sue them (rarely happens), they just fade into obscurity and come back as another crappy company and continues with their lies.
Get sued, file bankruptcy, start "new" company, produce same garbage with a new name on the sticker, rinse and repeat.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Plus, they prey on less wealthy countries that aren't likely to give much in the way of pushback. And they frequently do some pretty cynical loopholes, like not explicitly saying that the W stands for "watts" to trick people. It's very scummy. This PSU wasn't worth the cardboard box it was shipped in.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Plus, they prey on less wealthy countries that aren't likely to give much in the way of pushback. And they frequently do some pretty cynical loopholes, like not explicitly saying that the W stands for "watts" to trick people. It's very scummy. This PSU wasn't worth the cardboard box it was shipped in.
I can hear it now 700Wa is the model number we clearly labeled it 15A on the 12 volt rail.

Reactions: Wolfshadw

bignastyid

Titan
What box? By the looks of Aeacus's image it was just shrink wrapped and shipped, no box(because as you said the box was worth more).

Reactions: Aeacus and DRagor

GoboII

Prominent
Jun 5, 2021
Thanks for the advice
Both the CPU and GPU (which make up a bulk of a PC's power draw) run on 12V. This unit's 12V rail is only rated for 15A, meaning it can deliver a total of 180W of power (though it would probably let you draw more, since I doubt a unit like this one would have the foresight to implement any sort of over current protection.) Regardless, it's something you should replace.

And these crappy PSU manufacturers rely on the fact that most buyers won't know how to do the simple mental arithmetic to obtain the true output wattage on the main rail.