Question my 8900x reaches upto 83C while gaming is it okay?

abhishek2696hhh

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
This is my config -

R9 3900x CPU
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 SUPER A8G
Coolermaster masterliquid lite 120 AIO
8x2 GB G.Skill Trident Z DOCP enabled
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX x570 GAMING-E

My case has 3 fans in the front and one in the back

The problem is my CPU has an idle temp of about 48-52 degree Celsius

And while gaming it reached upto 80c + and I can feel the frame drops

48-52°C idle is borderline okay. depends in what you define as "idle". If you haven't updated to the latest BIOS - do.
83°C while gaming is at the high end. a 120mm AIO is borderline weak. but it's fine. once you break 85°C you should start thinking about temps. afaik it doesn't throttle until 90+
but for a 3900X a 120mm AIO isn't quite recommended.

Reactions: abhishek2696hhh

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
120mm AIO for a top of the line CPU is a weird pair, the 120mm aio arent meant for such CPUs, you couldve paired it with a be quiet Dark Rock 4 or Pro 4 version or any noctua equivalent. or at least a 240mm aio.
40-52c idle is fine in some cases especially in a hot environment but 80c+ while gaming is just bad imo its really really toasty.

Reaching 83c while gaming on that CPU is definately not ideal.

Most studies show that CPU while running hard benchmarks like Aida, the avg max temp is around 85c for those tasks, which are much harder tasks than gaming. This was also using stock cooler and stock voltages etc.

Your idle temps are basically on the brink of being "okay" for idle temps.

You want more like 38-45c idle with 45 being the max end. However this would also depend on your room temp and environment place you live etc.

Imo your 120mm AIO for that CPU is the issue. I would upgrade it as soon as possible. Also what kinda of thermal paste are you using? Are you sure you applied the cooler properly? Have you reapplied the cooler and applied your own thermal paste?

I know its a different CPU however my Ryzen 5 2600 never goes above 55c while gaming and those are sort of the temps you would want to be seeing on your cpu as well, however you would be looking for more like 65-70c because thats a powerful cpu.

Also, what voltage is your cpu running at? You can check with HWMonitor. Have you done any overclocking?

Its a known issue if the R9 3600 is running at 1.35v or above, there will be higher temps as the new gen cpus are more efficient and run more around 1.2v. SO I would check and make sure your not running at 1.35 or above.

Here is a video by JayzTwoCents on yt (highly respected tech channel) on some info about the 3600x and how to properly set it up for best performance while OC'ing and some other useful info. He even speaks on the voltage causing high temps issue.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssuqhyqah2k

Last edited:

abhishek2696hhh

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
Reaching 83c while gaming on that CPU is definately not ideal.

Most studies show that CPU while running hard benchmarks like Aida, the avg max temp is around 85c for those tasks, which are much harder tasks than gaming. This was also using stock cooler and stock voltages etc.

Your idle temps are basically on the brink of being "okay" for idle temps.

You want more like 38-45c idle with 45 being the max end. However this would also depend on your room temp and environment place you live etc.

Imo your 120mm AIO for that CPU is the issue. I would upgrade it as soon as possible. Also what kinda of thermal paste are you using? Are you sure you applied the cooler properly? Have you reapplied the cooler and applied your own thermal paste?

I know its a different CPU however my Ryzen 5 2600 never goes above 55c while gaming and those are sort of the temps you would want to be seeing on your cpu as well, however you would be looking for more like 65-70c because thats a powerful cpu.

Also, what voltage is your cpu running at? You can check with HWMonitor. Have you done any overclocking?

Its a known issue if the R9 3600 is running at 1.35v or above, there will be higher temps as the new gen cpus are more efficient and run more around 1.2v. SO I would check and make sure your not running at 1.35 or above.

Here is a video by JayzTwoCents on yt (highly respected tech channel) on some info about the 3600x and how to properly set it up for best performance while OC'ing and some other useful info. He even speaks on the voltage causing high temps issue.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssuqhyqah2k
I do follow Jay and see all his videos so I wondering If I should upgrade the AIO because everyone keeps telling me that a 120mm isn't good for this CPU. I want to upgrade to noctua but idk if the beefy air coolers from tyem are going to fit my case(Cooler master masterbox 5 RGB). Any suggestions for a good air cooler?