My Acer Aspire laptop loads the Acer screen but doesn't load past that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bijx

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
I have an acer aspire laptop and it is 2 years old. Recently, after turning it off for the night then booting up later, it shows the acer screen but then it becomes a blank black screen. The backlight is on but its blank. What do i do?

Solution
Im sorry for the delay, had to RMA a few parts of my computer so I've been out of commission. Hmm Well I would say you would just have to reinstall windows. I've noticed a trend with Acer products doing this....my 120hz monitor that cost me 354 bucks did the same thing your Acer laptop is doing. Except windows is fine.

So after now experiencing this, I would first reinstall windows by doing this:
-Get to where you see your partitions in the installer
-Delete everything
-Perform a FULL Format of the un-allocated space. (Will take a while, go get some food, watch tv, run a mile, etc.)
-Create a new partition in the un-allocated space
-Install.

Then after windows installs, if it still does it, it's the laptop itself. At that point you...

nubbsauce

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Debug Mode Activated!

Hi! If you don't mind, I need you to fill me in on a few things... The first thing I need to know is: Can you get into your BIOS? And the second: Has it been acting up at all before this?

bijx

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

It has never acted like this before. I'm guessing that the computers age has something to do with it. Also, I really am not sure on certain terminology such as BIOS, so I may need some more basic help.

Thanks!

nubbsauce

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Well when you boot up the computer, press f2, delete, or f1 depending on your motherboard. That will get you into the bios. From there look for something that says boot or boot priority. You should see a list of devices that are setup. Make sure your hard drive is in the first spot. Let me know what the name of your hard drive is that the bios gives you.

bijx

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Alright here it is:

1. IDE0 : WDC WD6400BEVT -22A0RT0
2. IDE1 : TSSTcorp CDVDW TS-L633F
3. USB FDD :
4. Network Boot : LEGACY PCI DEVICE
5. USB HDD :
6. USB CDROM :

nubbsauce

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Hmm ok. Well everything looks normal there. Next boot it up and spam f8. It should force windows to go to it's boot menu. From there you should be able to select what device you boot from. If f8 doesn't work, you may need to reinstall windows. Its strange that it doesn't give you a "No bootable device found" type of error. But let me know if f8 gets you anywhere.

bijx

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

I pressed f8 as fast as I possibly could and it did nothing but go to the blank screen.

nubbsauce

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Im sorry for the delay, had to RMA a few parts of my computer so I've been out of commission. Hmm Well I would say you would just have to reinstall windows. I've noticed a trend with Acer products doing this....my 120hz monitor that cost me 354 bucks did the same thing your Acer laptop is doing. Except windows is fine.

So after now experiencing this, I would first reinstall windows by doing this:
-Get to where you see your partitions in the installer
-Delete everything
-Perform a FULL Format of the un-allocated space. (Will take a while, go get some food, watch tv, run a mile, etc.)
-Create a new partition in the un-allocated space
-Install.

Then after windows installs, if it still does it, it's the laptop itself. At that point you will need to see if the Monitor connector is loose or pinched anywhere in your laptop.
-There should be a plate on the very top of your keyboard under the screen or on the back of the laptop that you can either unscrew (Turn off, take out battery, holy power button for 30 seconds to clear voltages) or just simply pop off, and there should be what looks like a bigger SATA cable going from your screen to the motherboard. Just push down on it on both sides to make sure the connection is there.

If it still does this, I don't think there is anything else I can troubleshoot and I would just have to deem the Laptop defective and you would have to call Acer support and see if they will replace it. If they won't, and you are looking for another laptop, just message me on here and I'll help you in your search. I would recommend staying away from ANYTHING Acer in the future, their products seem to have 1-2 year lifespan before they die. I would recommend ASUS as a laptop. They have a lot of options and are very nice computers. I have a few friends that have owned them and they absolutely loved it.

Hope I wasn't too late in my response and I apologize in advance.

Solution

bijx

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Thank you so much! Although I already bought a new computer, I will definitely try this and hey, maybe ill have a secondary computer!

Thanks again and it was not late at all.

stanleytan9960

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017

It depends sometimes i adjust the cable back it works but now it didnt work at all that method. It had been not using this laptop for quite a moment since this problem happen about several month didnt touch this laptop

stanleytan9960

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017

The problem is that it wont boot up even the acer logo cannot be seen before entering bios so it is totally black screen

Nashtonsgirl14

Prominent
May 19, 2017
OK now I have a question. I am having the same issue with my laptop, same details same computer. Turn it on and it only loads as far as the Acer screen then the backlight is on but the screen is blank and it keeps doing it over I hit the button to go to the screen with boot option but there isn't anything after the ( : ) on each topic so I was wondering how do you reinstall windows when I can't get any further than the boot screen?

USAFRet

Titan

Please start a new thread for your issue.
This one is 3 years old.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.