[SOLVED] My Acer x34 Screen flickers when house electrics make weird click/tick sound?

Diablik

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013
So as the question stated, random single little click/tick sound in my home and then my monitor will blink with the ‘DP’ displayed, as if I’ve just connected the display port on the monitor.

What could be causing this? It’s very frustrating it happens approximately every 10 min.

I’m worried it could potentially damage my Pc/monitor.

Thanks

Solution
Your air conditioner or refrigerator kicking on, water heater? Every ten minutes is quite often... I could see an AC or Heat Pump kicking on that often during the summer months. Just means the local grid is a little under-producing or your local circuit is at capacity. But such devices are a large drain at startup and can cause a voltage drop on the lines.

Line conditioner or UPS would prevent any electrical problems and smooth out any drops in voltage from the socket.

If it is the AC, you could potentially add a booster capacitor so that the compressor motor doesn't need to pull so much juice on startup.

Doesn't look like the monitor uses a power brick, so can't really do much there. A larger one would have bigger capacitors and...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Your air conditioner or refrigerator kicking on, water heater? Every ten minutes is quite often... I could see an AC or Heat Pump kicking on that often during the summer months. Just means the local grid is a little under-producing or your local circuit is at capacity. But such devices are a large drain at startup and can cause a voltage drop on the lines.

Line conditioner or UPS would prevent any electrical problems and smooth out any drops in voltage from the socket.

If it is the AC, you could potentially add a booster capacitor so that the compressor motor doesn't need to pull so much juice on startup.

Doesn't look like the monitor uses a power brick, so can't really do much there. A larger one would have bigger capacitors and smooth out incoming power better. Not going to get into modifying the monitor power supply, that is a bit beyond a simple forum post.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS