Question My actual download speed is much slower than when I run a Speedtest

TactX21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Hi, I just got a new broadband from Virgin and we're supposed to get 200mbps. I am in a room next to the router and use a TP-Link Archer T4U wireless USB adapter plugged into a USB 3,0 port. When I run a Speedtest, I get a download speed in the range of 100-200mbps which is good, but when I actually start downloading something e.g. a Torrent or on Steam, my download speeds only reach around 10mbps. What's the reason for this? I have nothing else running/downloading when I am trying to download something on Steam.

Thank you for any help!

First download sites almost always have the speed in BYTES/sec and network testing programs are in BITS/sec

You want to test with ethernet first to be very sure there is nothing wrong with your internet or your pc.

Wifi gets lots of errors and data retransmissions. Speedtest only runs for a short time compared to a file download so you may have intermittent interference.

TactX21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
First download sites almost always have the speed in BYTES/sec and network testing programs are in BITS/sec

You want to test with ethernet first to be very sure there is nothing wrong with your internet or your pc.

Wifi gets lots of errors and data retransmissions. Speedtest only runs for a short time compared to a file download so you may have intermittent interference.

Thank you for the reply! I don't think there is a way to test with ethernet as the router is in the next room and I don't have a long enough ethernet cable. Would a Wifi booster help or is that pointless since the router is in the room next to me? (my signal strength is full)