Sep 17, 2019
Hello , i've been have random half a second buzzing/freeze lockups every now and then, and i have noticed looking at HWMonitor, my AMD 2700x core clock spikes randomly to speeds up to 4800 and even 5000Mhz on one occasion, does anybody have a idea what this could be? i have tried most things (changed power plans several times, locked core speeds, turned on/off xmp, PBO on and off, core performance boost too) but nothing seems to stop it, any suggestions would be appriciated, thanks. (edit, it is not one or two cores that spike it is all of them)

Windows 10 home 64 bit
B450 AORUS ELITE motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 3000mhz c15
Geforce GTX 1660 TI 6gb
ASUS PCE-N15 11n Wierless LAN PCI-E card

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Make sure you have the latest Windows updates and that you have the latest AMD chipset drivers. And select the Ryzen Balanced power plan in windows power settings.

Edit: A BIOS update may also be a good idea. If it's already up to date, it couldn't hurt to clear your CMOS, especially if you've been messing around with settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Sep 17, 2019
Make sure you have the latest Windows updates and that you have the latest AMD chipset drivers. And select the Ryzen Balanced power plan in windows power settings.

Edit: A BIOS update may also be a good idea. If it's already up to date, it couldn't hurt to clear your CMOS, especially if you've been messing around with settings.
Thanks, ill try updating chipset drivers

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What BIOS version? All BIOS settings at default?

Did you do a clean install of Windows whenever you built this system?

I'd try using a different monitoring utility, like hwinfo or ryzen master. Your CPU isn't going to be spiking to 5GHz, which makes me not really trust hwmonitor's readings.

Last edited:
Actually, just to balance this thread out a little, I've had some conversations with a 2700x owner (current Tom's memeber and someone I'd consider very experienced), and he has shown me in great detail how his 2700x goes up to 4.7/4.8 on one core during very light loads, even though the max advertised boost is 4.3! It's not that uncommon.

I will see if i can get the screen grabs. I don't think it's down to HWMon/Info's sensor readings being wrong. Don't forget, PB/XFR alogrithms will push beyong spec, if voltage, current, VRM temps and cooling are sufficient.

Even on my own 1600x, I have a manual OC, yet somehow XFR still kicks in. My clockspeed is set at 3.9, but it will still boost/XFR to 4.0ghz on all cores sometimes. Ryzen chips and PB/XFR/PBO can pull off some good results.

Tried both, no luck

What do you mean by both? Windows updates and Ryzen Balanced, AND the bios?

The new bios might help. I'd follow TJ's advice there. Make sure after bios update you clear CMOS to remove old remnants of the previous bios.

But keep in mind my post above. If your CPU is boosting to those speeds on 1 core, this is pretty much normal if you have a good cooler, good mobo, and low ambient temps.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Just found another thread on the same topic I answered some time back: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/r7-2700x-stock-is-at-4-7ghz-at-times.3444880/

Half way down you can see the link to the system i was referring to. It's not only you, or uncommon.

Check it out.
It could still easily be a monitoring/reporting bug. I notice that the OP in this thread and the examples in that thread are all using hwmonitor, that utility could have a bug with Ryzen chips.

It could still easily be a monitoring/reporting bug. I notice that the OP in this thread and the examples in that thread are all using hwmonitor, that utility could have a bug with Ryzen chips.

That could be so TJ Hooker, however, as you can see it's not uncommon. The screenshot I've included is from a reputable, experienced member of Tom's forums. It's been confirmed the results are the same with HWInfo. as I explained. I don't doubt the data provided by that member for any reason. This is a repeatable result. I'm sure there will be many that can confirm the same results.

With that said, I completely agree with you on updating system drivers, bios etc. It would then also be advisable to update to the latest version of the software (HWMon/Info). I'm sure the OP will be able to verify that, and download HWInfo, and produce the same or very similar results.

I'd imagine if there was a bug, it will have been fixed now with the most recent versions of either of those software monitors, so as suggested, updating the software, and running both HWMon and hwinfo as a comparison, might be the best route to see what's happening.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'd imagine if there was a bug, it will have been fixed now with the most recent versions of either of those software monitors, so as suggested, updating the software, and running both HWMon and hwinfo as a comparison, might be the best route to see what's happening.
It could even be a bug relating to the value that's being provided to the utilities, rather than a bug in utilities themselves. Reminds of that issue with Ryzen 3K where at first it looked like you could undervolt dramatically and it could still maintain the same clock speeds. Then people noticed that performance was tanking, and it turned out that although everything was reporting that the clock speed was not affected in reality it was effectively downclocking.

I just find it really hard to believe that it could be boosting up to ~5GHz when there's a preponderance of evidence that Ryzen will not clock higher than low to mid 4.x short of extreme overclocking (e.g. LN2). Seems more likely it's some sort of measurement artifact.

Sep 17, 2019
I have left both HWM & Ryzen master on to check and Ryzen's peak was 4300 , where as HWM was showing alot higher, anyway the solution was updating BIOS to latest version (F42a) and reseating battery 👍 Thanks for the help guys.

Reactions: TJ Hooker