My AMD Gaming PC sounded really loud like a vacuum cleaner when I started it up?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I have never had any issues with my PC being loud. I manged to clean off the old stuff I used as a temporary thermal paste and reapplied fresh thermal paste. I put the side panel on and the front panel though I had kept them off when testing the PC. The temps were normal when testing and it was relatively quiet though not as quiet as before. I am waiting to collect my fans and see if that helps any. But for the first time ever when I started my PC something in it roared really loudly like fans or something but it sounded like a jet engine or vacuum cleaner though it is dust free and has fresh thermal paste. All the current fans are plugged in and spinning. It sounded like the PC would explode and was really disturbing so I switched it off from the power supply. Could it be a faulty PSU or something? I know I am supposed to test it piece by piece and check the ram etc but everything is plugged in as it should be and I have not overclocked anything. I have the proper drivers installed for Ryzen and Radeon working correctly and up to date.

My specs:
Ryzen 3 1200
8gb of Ballistix DDR4 ram 2400 mhz
Radeon RX 570 4gb Power Colour
1TB Western Digital Blue Hard Drive
240gb Kingston SSD
Gigabyte A320M-S2H Micro ATX motherboard
Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3.1 Computer Case

I had the acrylic side panel and acrylic front panel on at the time though I had them both on in the past and nothing was working. My PC used to be super quiet though now there is a noticeable hum from the PC maybe the CPU cooler or something. I can't afford to buy anymore PC parts. Is this normal or what can I do that is relatively cheap and preferably free if possible.

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019

Even if the speed setting is at max on a fan, it shouldnt sound like he describes it...

Sounds like a fan is malfunctioning.Could be anything from GPU to PSU to CPU to cabinet...

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I ran the GPU Benchmark on MSI Afterburner and my GPU reached 79 degrees but I think that was at peak load is that fine? This was after I installed the fans. With all the case panels on properly and the fans installed it did not make the loud noise but the fans are very noisy. What fan speed or curve would best for most performance but as quiet as possible? I might save up for noise-cancelling headphones. Definitely a must. The RGB is nice though and I think they will help my PC stay in good temperatures.

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
By the way the noise was from BEFORE I installed the fans. I reinstalled the GPU as well because I wanted to check that the GPU fan was connected properly and they were plugged in. I didn't unscrew the GPU or anything but I just checked that they were connected. I removed the fan that came with the case though I didn't do anything to the stock heatsink. All the fan settings are at stock except for the case fan which I used the remote to change the fan speed but it didn't do anything noise wise.

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019

And youre sure its not the psu fan making the noise? I know noise level is a very subjective thing, but the level you describe shouldnt be possible without malfunction.

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

It could be the power supply but I downloaded a fan controller program and was able to change the GPU fan speeds so I made them slightly higher to the 50s but then it sounded really loud very similar to what the original noise was. It could have been the power supply too. But the fan speed was originally at 33 or something so I dropped it down to the 40s or 30s and its okay. The GPU temps were at 52 C. I thought it was at 170 but that was Fahrenheit but I found the Celsius which I use. It could be the power supply. How do I tell if the power supply is working correctly? It is brand new from Amazon and there is nothing seemingly wrong with it. I don't know how to check though and don't want to open up my power supply because of live electricity. Is there a power reader thingy to scan the PSU or something?

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019

Nope. I have to dissapoint you. The PSU is the only unit you cannot diagnose via software. However, with that noise level I would think that you should be able to hear it just by sticking your ear down to the psu fan. Normally that fan should be really quiet.
But from what you describe it sounds like its the GPU fan. Increasing rpm should increase the sound level but not in a distorted and "noisy" way...

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Ah fair enough. I could unplug the GPU and case fans and then test it again to see what happens. I don't have another power supply on hand to see though it sounded incredibly similar to the GPU fans when they revved up at full speed. It only had one exhaust fan at the time and no intake fans so chances are it just overloaded. But now I can only hear the PC case fans which I am trying to determine how to lower the volume of. They are plugged into a fan hub that came with it but they are third party fans which don't have any software to control just a remote. I can always return them to Amazon if worst comes to worst. I might take the power supply to a shop and get it tested maybe. I have restarted my PC several times to check the BIOS and only the CPU fan and System fan 1 is discovered by the BIOS. My ram, motherboard, SSD, and HDD is detected. All seems okay. My CPU was at 39 degrees C idle which is a bit high but it's only the stock one. Not too sure what I can do at this point in time. Thank you for the advice though.

TRENDING THREADS