[SOLVED] My AMD Radeon R9 270X has died, looking for a similar card (in the UK) ...

StellaMan

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
As in the subject line, my AMD Radeon R9 270X has given up the ghost, so I need to replace it and I'd like, if possible and affordable, to get a similar card or one slightly better.

I'm self-employed and money is tight, so I'm prepared to go second-hand if necessary ... unfortunately I know how inflated prices are at the moment, so I'm not holding my breath, but if anybody can help, then thanks very much ...

My spec is as follows :

AMD FX 8320 Black Edition
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
RAM 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (1x8GB)
AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB ... DEAD ... currently replaced with cheap old thing I found in my spares bucket !!
650W Corsair VS

Solution
How old is the PSU in that build? The likely cause of the GPU's demise might've come from that PSU. Regardless, if you do go for a GPU to replace the R9 270x, I'd suggest a GTX 1050Ti or anything above that but your platform would need an overhaul if you decide to go above a GTX1050Ti.

Please keep in mind that the current state of affairs, anywhere, is that second hand GPU's used for mining will be on the market...which aren't good. Brand new GPU's are priced more than they should be so you're being scalped in either direction. The fact that you own a horribly built PSU and a platform that's known to be a room heater isn't helping either.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in that build? The likely cause of the GPU's demise might've come from that PSU. Regardless, if you do go for a GPU to replace the R9 270x, I'd suggest a GTX 1050Ti or anything above that but your platform would need an overhaul if you decide to go above a GTX1050Ti.

Please keep in mind that the current state of affairs, anywhere, is that second hand GPU's used for mining will be on the market...which aren't good. Brand new GPU's are priced more than they should be so you're being scalped in either direction. The fact that you own a horribly built PSU and a platform that's known to be a room heater isn't helping either.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GTX 1050 Ti are around £80-100 Still a lot of fake 1050Ti out there as well. GTX1650 (£250 new)

R9-380 (Around £100)
RX480/RX570 (RX570 4GB/8GB, RX480) as cheap as £120-150
Would be between 10% and 30% faster than a 1050Ti.

Also, get yourself another stick of RAM, not having dual channel memory isn't doing you many favors.

StellaMan

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012

Thanks for replying Lutfij, the PC was a new build from Dino PC in 2014, so 7 years ago, though I doubt any of the components were brand new and state of the art then ... but you buy what you can afford, don't you ?!?

I have had strange BSODs over the the years (pretty rarely though) that insinuated power problems, maybe the PSU has always been a bit dodgy (is it jus the low wattage that concerns you, or the make / model of the PSU itself ?!?)

I'll look for some replacements tomorrow, but in all honesty it's going to be tough with my current financial situation ... and yes, I fully understand the current ridiculous prices !!! What do you mean, though, by "a platform that's known to be a room heater" ?!? The machine has done me very well in the 7 years I've had it and has only had the very occasional hiccup ...

StellaMan

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
GTX 1050 Ti are around £80-100 Still a lot of fake 1050Ti out there as well. GTX1650 (£250 new)

R9-380 (Around £100)
RX480/RX570 (RX570 4GB/8GB, RX480) as cheap as £120-150
Would be between 10% and 30% faster than a 1050Ti.

Also, get yourself another stick of RAM, not having dual channel memory isn't doing you many favors.

Good point about the RAM, you know, I never even considered the fact that it was only one stick and not a pair, 2-3 years ago I'd have just doubled it up, or maybe even filled all 4 slots but unfortunately that's no longer an option 😢 ...

I'll have a search around, see what I can find for those models, thank you Eximo 👍

StellaMan

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
Good point about the RAM, you know, I never even considered the fact that it was only one stick and not a pair, 2-3 years ago I'd have just doubled it up, or maybe even filled all 4 slots but unfortunately that's no longer an option 😢 ...

I'll have a search around, see what I can find for those models, thank you Eximo 👍

Well, that could be why I hadn't considered the fact that it was only one stick and not a pair, there are 2 sticks of 8Gb in there, I guess I'd had a couple of Stellas too many last night :rolleyes: !!!