Discussion My annual upgrade...case, graphics card and RAM

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
Over the last two weeks I've been doing my annual system upgrade. This time I replaced my Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Nitro+ 8GB with a Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT Pulse 12GB. And because RAM prices have dropped I also replaced my Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 16GB kit with DDR4-3200 32GB kit also from Corsair. In addition, yesterday the bequiet! Dark Base 900 case I ordered arrived. My previous case, a bequiet! Pure Base 600, had airflow issues and even though I added an extra 140mm fan, the temps were still too high. I wanted something with room to upgrade the cooling as needed, but still have the options I had in the Pure Base 600 (such as an optical drive bay and noise dampening). The Dark Base 900 was an excellent choice for this. I didn't choose the Pro version because I needed a case with a windowless side panel. I get migraines and lights and spinning fan blades can easily provoke a response. Great hardware...I'm very satisfied with the choices I made. Next year I will be upgrading my storage by replacing the standard SSD with a M.2 and I will be upgrading all 4 hard drives to 4TB each.

Some pictures...
graphics_card.jpg

pc_case.jpg

Hey there,

Some good choices.

The one thing I would mention, and you also have, is that DDR4 is very cheap right now. Going with a 3600mhz CL16 set of 2 x 16gb would be the sweetspot. With 3600mhz, you can run the mem clock/infinity fabric clock/memory controller clock at a 1:1:1 ratio. This give the best latency and bandwidth. Your CPU will love it. I'd RMA the ram you bought and get 3600 in there.

Overall your system is plenty strong for 1440p high hz gaming.

Reactions: Dr3ams

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
Hey there,

Some good choices.

The one thing I would mention, and you also have, is that DDR4 is very cheap right now. Going with a 3600mhz CL16 set of 2 x 16gb would be the sweetspot. With 3600mhz, you can run the mem clock/infinity fabric clock/memory controller clock at a 1:1:1 ratio. This give the best latency and bandwidth. Your CPU will love it. I'd RMA the ram you bought and get 3600 in there.

Overall your system is plenty strong for 1440p high hz gaming.

Good advice...I'll be looking into that. Thanks!