[SOLVED] My anti virus took my visual studio output EXE because it is a trojan horse? lol

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
so I got a code from Microsoft Learn website about displays clock I assume, however in visual studio 2022 when I run my exe, my AV freaked out (kaspersky) instantly blocked the action,deleted my exe into quarantine and rebooted my computer to complete "advanced disinfection" process. So it took my exe because it thinks it is a trojan horse hehe,

Event: Malicious object detected
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
User type: System user
Application name: devenv.exe
Application path: E:\Visual Studio 2022\Common7\IDE
Component: File Anti-Virus
Result description: Detected
Type: Trojan
Name: VHO:Trojan-Spy.MSIL.Convagent.gen
Precision: Heuristic Analysis
Threat level: High
Object type: File
Object name: WindowsApp1.exe
Object path: C:\Users\****\source\repos\WindowsApp1\WindowsApp1\bin\Debug
Reason: Cloud Protection

If your wondering and I'm unsure if its ok to put a link here, it is official Microsoft Learn website, basically information about Windows platform and tutorials in in there.

MsgBox("The formatted date is " & Format(#5/31/1993#, "dddd, d MMM yyyy"))

This is the code I did took from MS Learn site, literally VB code, kinda funny Imao

Solution
Yes it had Ignore button however it deleted it regardless, and I did a mistake deleting from quarantine as well thinking it's something else, oh well
This is the code I got from Microsoft learn: "MsgBox("The formatted date is " & Format(#5/31/1993#, "dddd, d MMM yyyy")) " I think it is a clock time/date code no?
That is the Format of a date value.

Feed the date value to the code, and it outputs in that format.

But, random code that accesses system values may well be seen as malicious to an overbearing AV tool.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Depending on what the code does, your AV may well think it is malicious.

Most rational AV tools, however, have the function to tell it to Ignore what you know is not malicious.

Yes it had Ignore button however it deleted it regardless, and I did a mistake deleting from quarantine as well thinking it's something else, oh well
This is the code I got from Microsoft learn: "MsgBox("The formatted date is " & Format(#5/31/1993#, "dddd, d MMM yyyy")) " I think it is a clock time/date code no?

USAFRet

Titan

But, random code that accesses system values may well be seen as malicious to an overbearing AV tool.

Solution

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019

Bravo, yup, AV GUI indicated something within "malicious object started in the RAM..." so I guess that is why rebooted my computer with advanced disinfection process. I will install a VM instead for this next time.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I use VMs for specifically this...checking out random code or URLs.

Yea I'm loving those old Windows running as a VM on my VMware workstation, problem is Windows 10/11 on VMs, they are SLOW, like turtle level slow. I did basically everything to solve this and I'm constantly looking for fixes for this annoying issue FOR YEARS. Even with 5 core and 3GBVRAM, Windows 10 and 11 so slow, I mean general speed of the VM, boots takes like 2-3minutes and I have to stop Windows Update all the time because it is hammering my HDD. I installed it on a HDD due to SSDs have limited writes and VM virtual hard disks are huge. I also tried turning off file anti virus on VMware and ISO locations, did not work. And yup also cleaned that bloatware. I guess there is just too many useless telemetry garbage inside the Windows 11 makes it slow. Tested Windows 8.1 a while ago on same VMware workstation, worked like a charm. Dunno what is wrong with that

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
Use SSD not HDD. Do not worry about limited writes, that is like going back to 2010.

I just installed a 2TB SSD with dram and cache for under $100, I have SSDs that are 5-6 years old I use daily.

Back up your stuff and use SSD. You will be very happy.