Question My AORUS Gaming 5 WiFi does not seem to be delivering any power to any components.

May 14, 2019
I bought a "renewed" board from Amazon.com. I connected two sticks of ram, a brand new ryzen 7 2700, a noctua fan, a brand new graphics card in the pci 16 slot, a m.2 drive, and a 650w power supply. Before doing so, and multiple times throughout, I made sure to discharge any potential static from my hands, and my apartment is almost entirely concrete and wood anyway.

I powered everything on. The lights on the board blinked once, then nothing. No fans spinning, no further lights, nothing.

I unplugged everything, including each connection to the power supply, the cpu fan, and the processor, and looked for any slight burns or burst tiny round things that I am told are called capacitors. Visually, the board and each component appeared to be identical to the state it was in when I unboxed it.

I reseated it all, one piece at a time. Same result. A blink, then nothing, not even spinning fans. I tried with and without the graphics card connected, moved my RAM to other slots, and tried with and without the m.2 drive installed. I got the exact same result each time. One blink, then nothing, and I had to entirely disconnect the power supply and plug it in again after 15 seconds or so to even get another blink.

I went to my local electronics superstore (Fry's), bought a power supply tester, and when I plugged the power supply in, it spun up just fine while connected to the tester. Voltages seemed normal based on what I could look up online.

What am I doing wrong? This is my first build, and I would rather not send my motherboard or any of these other expensive pieces back, but it seems like the only component I didn't buy brand new is failing me here..

Thanks in advance for any help, and please feel free to be blunt with likely causes and solutions.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Please post your entire system specification including PSU make and model.

bought a power supply tester,
Just be wary with some of these, they will often tell you if a power supply is delivering an amount of power, but not necessarily how stable or if the power supply is functioning the way it should - so they can give false positives. The best way to test a PSU is to simply get another working one.

First perform all the steps in this guide thoroughly: Perform These Steps

If the guide above doesn't solve the issue (and after we see the system spec), personally I would just say return the MB, It's always one of the dangers of refurbished electronics!

May 14, 2019
Please post your entire system specification including PSU make and model.

Just be wary with some of these, they will often tell you if a power supply is delivering an amount of power, but not necessarily how stable or if the power supply is functioning the way it should - so they can give false positives. The best way to test a PSU is to simply get another working one.

First perform all the steps in this guide thoroughly: Perform These Steps

If the guide above doesn't solve the issue (and after we see the system spec), personally I would just say return the MB, It's always one of the dangers of refurbished electronics!

Parts list is right here. I copied it directly from my Amazon Orders page to be sure I didn't miss anything.

WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280 - WDS500G2B0B

V-Color Skywalker Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL16 1.35V Desktop Memory Model Silver (TA48G32S816SK)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler - YD2700BBAFBOX

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB GDDR5, VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-580P8DBD6)

Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 Premium-Grade 120mm Tower CPU Cooler for AMD AM4

GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type A, Type C/ ATX/ DDR4/ Intel Wave 2 WIFI/ M.2/ HDMI/ Motherboard) (Renewed)

Sold by: IDYIASHOP EXPRESS

Fractal Design FD-CA-Focus-GY-W Focus G ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Gunmetal Gray

I read through the guide, and I can identify two things I may not have checked.

1.) I may have installed an extra standoff in a micro ATX position and left it there, because I know I put one in the wrong spot initially. I believe I removed it, but I could be wrong.

2.) I may have gotten some thermal paste smudged in a place where it shouldn't be at some point while reseating things.

When I eyeballed the processor after disassembling everything, I didn't see any paste on the underside or bent pins, but i recognize that I wouldn't no what "damage" looked like beyond that sort of thing.

May 14, 2019
Parts list is right here. I copied it directly from my Amazon Orders page to be sure I didn't miss anything.

WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280 - WDS500G2B0B

V-Color Skywalker Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL16 1.35V Desktop Memory Model Silver (TA48G32S816SK)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler - YD2700BBAFBOX

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB GDDR5, VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-580P8DBD6)

Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 Premium-Grade 120mm Tower CPU Cooler for AMD AM4
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type A, Type C/ ATX/ DDR4/ Intel Wave 2 WIFI/ M.2/ HDMI/ Motherboard) (Renewed)
Sold by: IDYIASHOP EXPRESS

Fractal Design FD-CA-Focus-GY-W Focus G ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Gunmetal Gray

I read through the guide, and I can identify two things I may not have checked.

1.) I may have installed an extra standoff in a micro ATX position and left it there, because I know I put one in the wrong spot initially. I believe I removed it, but I could be wrong.

2.) I may have gotten some thermal paste smudged in a place where it shouldn't be at some point while reseating things.

When I eyeballed the processor after disassembling everything, I didn't see any paste on the underside or bent pins, but i recognize that I wouldn't no what "damage" looked like beyond that sort of thing.

Addendum: Forgot to add the power supply. This is it, but I bought it at Fry's. Still brand new though. https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-REVOLUTION-Certified-Semi-Modular-ERX750AWT/dp/B01CY3AP4Q