My AS SSD Benchmark result worries me!

SCSandyBoc

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
AS SSD Benchmark

I just finish building this PC a week ago and decided to swing for the Kingston SSDNow V+100 SVP100S2/96G 2.5" 96GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) that was on sale for $100 after rebate. I did not expect greatness from this SSD, but the AS SSD benchmark looks worst then I imagine and I am not even sure what all those numbers mean.

Kingston SSDNow V+100 SVP100S2/96G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139408

Here is what I did to tweak my PC for the SSD in case something I did here might have resulted in SSD poor performance.

1. SATA Controller set to AHCI Mode
2. Disable Prefetch and Superfetch
3. Disable System Restore
4. Disable Drive Indexing
5. Disable Disk Defragment Schedule
6. Turn Off Windows Write-Cache Buffer Flushing
7. Turn Off Page File, but then change it and set custom to min/max 1000MB (Is that ok or should I turn it off or use a smaller number like 200MB?)
8. Turn Off Hibernation
9. Power setting: Performance: never turn off Harddisk and never sleep.
10. Disable Recycle Bin
11. Verify TRIM and it is enabled.
12. Firefox and SSD: write data to RAM
13. Moved my users profile to hard disk with Junction: mklink /J C:\Users\UserName D:\Users\UserName
14. Mounted a new simple volume (allocated space on my hard disk for games) called games in my program file (x86) so I can save games and install them on hard disk while utilizing SSD speed to access and play them.

CPU: Intel core I5 2500K Sandy Bridge (Will be OC later)
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (Artic silver 5)
MOBO: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel
GPU: EVGA GeForce SC GTX 460 (will SLI later)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 (Maybe OC later)
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V+100 SVP100S2/96G (Tweaked)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB
OD: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - iHAS124-04
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 v2 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified
CASE: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

This is the first run of AS SSD Benchmark; I heard it was bad to run too many of these benchmark programs so I do not want to run more then I have to. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to improve this speed or is this a bad SSD that I may return or it is a good SSD but runs on Turtle speed. Thanks for any help.

asssdbenchkingstonsvp10.png

SCSandyBoc

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Under Device manager
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller: Intel (R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02 drivers

Storage Controllers: Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller

SCSandyBoc

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Thanks Gene O for that advise, but I actually have my drives on the Intel SATA in AHCI mode and not the Marvell right now; sorry for the mix-up about that. Is there anything more you can help with improving my SSD performance?

MikeG72

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Those benchmark results aren't just a little off, they're totally screwy. I can't suggest a course of action and the SMART data screenshot doesn't mean much to me but my also-recently-acquired V+100 96GB benchmarked at more or less the published specs and in line with results from online reviews. So either something's wrong with your drive or maybe some of your numerous tweaks or a combination thereof have had had unintended consequences. You might try restoring the OS settings to their defaults and checking the benchmarks/tweaks one-by-one instead of making so many changes at once.

Fwiw, my drive is installed in a stock Dell desktop with a Core2Duo CPU running Vista, with no "tweaks" apart from turning off defrag for the SSD.

SCSandyBoc

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I might have made a mistake by accidentally putting my SSD on SATA_1 instead of SATA_0. I thought it wouldn’t matter as long as I can boot to it so I left it at SATA_1. I just decided to switch it to SATA_0 and see if that would make a difference before resetting all my tweaks or reformatting my new SSD. Below is my new AS SSD Benchmark after switching to SATA_0. All my value went up especially in the write area, though the read area for “4K” and “4K-64 Thrd” did not have a large increase. How are the numbers now? Please let me know if those numbers are normal, still poor, or excellent. Thanks.

asssdbenchkingstonsvp10.png

MikeG72

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I think those numbers are normal for this drive, they're very similar to CrystalDiskMark results and IIRC, similar to the tests in the Anandtech review of the drive. Basically this drive is pretty unexciting as SSDs go, but it's built that way. The sequential numbers are pretty good but the random read and especially write performance is pretty poor compared to other SSDs. But then the reviews I saw made the clear, so I wasn't really surprised except for the bizarrely low random write speed at high queue depth. The reviews said it didn't do NCQ well, if at all, but the huge drop seems a little weird. Perhaps an artifact of the GC? Personally I'm not sorry I bought it but I also don't think it's worth more than the ~$1/Gb I paid for it after discounts/rebate.

Sequential Read : 218.294 MB/s
Sequential Write : 163.584 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 200.210 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 148.465 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 18.513 MB/s [ 4519.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 36.790 MB/s [ 8981.9 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 19.531 MB/s [ 4768.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 8.241 MB/s [ 2011.9 IOPS]

If SSD is on the Intel controller, why are you using the msahci default driver and Not The intel RST Version 10.x ?? More a question, as I do not know if with Your SSD it would make a difference. It did with the SATA II SSDs using the SF12xx controllers.

I have the ASRock Z67 EXTREME4 w/I5-2500k, w/A pair of Agility III 120 gig drives (Not in Raid0)- Both SSDs are on the Intel Sata III controller, nothing on the marvel controller, HDD and Blu-ray drive on Intel Sata II controller.. Have not Benchmark yet.

SCSandyBoc

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

For some reason the RST version driver gave me worst performance, at least when displayed on the benchmark results. msahci driver benchmark at least twice the performance. I am not sure why that is, but with those results I am sticking with msahci.