My Aspire V5-132P turns black when I turn it on. Specifically after the appearance of their logo.

Isnihart

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Greetings. My Aspire V5-132P turns black when I turn it on. Specifically after the appearance of their logo. I am running on Windows 8. I have tried Fn + F5/F6 but nothing changed. Also only the mouse pointer appeared and when I turned it on, it is placed in the last time I placed it (example in the corner). I dont know if that's relevant but I find it new. Thaaaanks ahead!

Solution

Need a Recovery Disk/Drive
Create Recovery
If you don't have a Recovery/Installation disk get a friend running Windows 8/8.1 to create a Recovery Drive at the very least. Ensure their Installation is the same (Both 32 or 64 bit). You'll need a blank CD (Win 8) or a small (1Gb) USB Pendrive. Simply type 'Create' at your Start Screen. Choose Create Recovery Drive from Settings (Win 8) or from list (win 8.1).
CD can only be created in Windows 8 using Windows 7 File Recovery.
Leave the box unchecked for the Recovery Partition.
Get into BIOS (Setup - F2 at Acer logo) and make USB Drive or Optical Drive 1st choice in the Boot menu, and boot from the Recovery Drive/Disk...

Try Alt + F10 at the Acer Logo
This should open up access to your Recovery Partition where you can use Troubleshoot to Refresh/Reset your PC. Try Refresh 1st as it will preserve your Data, but you will need to re-install your own Software. Reset will remove all...

Need a Recovery Disk/Drive
Create Recovery
If you don't have a Recovery/Installation disk get a friend running Windows 8/8.1 to create a Recovery Drive at the very least. Ensure their Installation is the same (Both 32 or 64 bit). You'll need a blank CD (Win 8) or a small (1Gb) USB Pendrive. Simply type 'Create' at your Start Screen. Choose Create Recovery Drive from Settings (Win 8) or from list (win 8.1).
CD can only be created in Windows 8 using Windows 7 File Recovery.
Leave the box unchecked for the Recovery Partition.
Get into BIOS (Setup - F2 at Acer logo) and make USB Drive or Optical Drive 1st choice in the Boot menu, and boot from the Recovery Drive/Disk. Proceed via Troubleshoot to Advanced Options and first try System Restore to a point prior to your problem arising.
Other possibility is Hard Drive Failure, again you would need a bootable disk/drive to check.

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en
or
http://www.computerforums.org/forums/articles-computer-server-software/how-create-bootable-usb-disk-seagate-seatools-dos-220196.html

Solution

Isnihart

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

I tried to do the bootable disk/drive to check and followed the instructions on the site you gave me but the screen that supposed to appear upon plugging the flash drive still did not appear. :( With the Create Recovery solution, man, that's a lot to do. Most of my friends are running on Windows 7 to start with. That might take me sometime. I guess i'll have to return it since it's still on warranty. Sigh.

Isnihart

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Okay.. So here's what happened... So I said that I tried to drive check my laptop and downloaded the programs to do it on a flash drive. At first it didn't work (I used the WD instructions). I plugged it onto my laptop and pressed everything on the function key whilst holding the Ctrl, Fn, Alt key. Not at once but one at time (my poor laptop! haha) The mouse pointer would disappear and that scared me so I tried to press those keys again to make it appear then turned it off. I concluded that it didn't work so I unplugged my flash and used it again for the Seatools program, followed the instructions and plugged it back onto my laptop. It didn't work too! I tried pressing the keys again and my mouse pointer disappeared again. This time I didn't do anything to make the mouse pointer appear but waited (while posting the post above, lol) until voila! My laptop restarted and everything went back to normal. Thaaaanks!

So my solution is:
1.) Tried the Seatools boot.
2.) Pressed the functions keys with the Fn, Alt, or Ctrl.
3.) Mouse pointer disappeared.
4.) Laptop suddenly restarted (I'm guessing the reason for the disappearance of the mouse pointer is because the booting program is working).
5.) Things went back to normal again.

Hmmm. Probably something to do with Windows 8 Fast Startup. Now you are up-and-running, create a Recovery Drive in case it happens again...
Complete Recovery...
Create USB Recovery
Good idea to create a Recovery drive, especially if you upgrade to 8.1 as there have been reports of problems with the Recovery Partition after the Upgrade. Ideally use a USB pendrive as they are faster and more reliable than creating multi DVDs. Use Disk Manager to determine the size of your Recovery Partition and purchase a USB pendrive accordingly. (16 Gb usually suffice). Simply type 'Create' at your Start Screen. Choose Create Recovery Drive from Settings and check the box for Copy Recovery Partition. If you have 8.1 pre-installed Create Recovery Drive will appear on a list without having to go to Settings.

havencloud

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014