Question my assembled desktop beeps 10 times, restarts, then stays on without video output

Aug 13, 2019
my parts: intel i5 6600k, corsair cx750m, rx580 gpu, asrock z170a-x1/3.1

after having run standard troubleshooting procedures, i have narrowed it down to cmos issues(?). whenever i move my ram between slots, or remove my graphics card, there is no change or difference in behavior.

with my gpu in, the fans run at 50% speed and there's no video output. the cpu fan runs as normal and reacts to cpu heat appropriately.

i have removed the cmos battery with the power supply unplugged multiple times, put it back in, and booted again, and nothing happens.

below is a link to a video demonstrating what happens. if im missing something, the video will show what im missing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ1SxpNJE7M

Aug 13, 2019
Is this a new build that's not working, or a PC that stopped working? I'm assuming the later.

That flashing isn't beeps, it's just the RAM receiving power and doing it's default behaviour. Your GPU is spinning at around 50% because it's a default fan speed when it's not receiving anything more specific from sensors. This isn't unexpected, and is pretty much the same reason for your RAM's flashing.

Your PC resetting after 10 seconds isn't surprising, it's common behaviour for a motherboard after a CMOS reset, I know that my x470 does it and it's functioning perfectly.

The main thing I see when I look at your build is the CPU cooler. It's not properly installed, it shouldn't be able to rotate. This all smells like the heat death of a CPU. The cooler is rotating on the heat-spreader of the CPU, correct? The movement would cause the paste to become ineffective, due to shifting and air pockets. The fact that movement is possible means that it's also not a tight enough hold to facilitate heat dissipation. When upright, the heatsink will likely tilt and wouldn't make complete contact with the heat-spreader on the CPU.

(also, I notice how easily it's rotating, which makes me worry about the over-application of thermal paste as well as the tightness. The movement from the rotation could cause the paste to travel, and if it's conductive could cause a short in your CPU or surrounding circuits.)

Aug 13, 2019
Is this a new build that's not working, or a PC that stopped working? I'm assuming the later.

That flashing isn't beeps, it's just the RAM receiving power and doing it's default behaviour. Your GPU is spinning at around 50% because it's a default fan speed when it's not receiving anything more specific from sensors. This isn't unexpected, and is pretty much the same reason for your RAM's flashing.

Your PC resetting after 10 seconds isn't surprising, it's common behaviour for a motherboard after a CMOS reset, I know that my x470 does it and it's functioning perfectly.

The main thing I see when I look at your build is the CPU cooler. It's not properly installed, it shouldn't be able to rotate. This all smells like the heat death of a CPU. The cooler is rotating on the heat-spreader of the CPU, correct? The movement would cause the paste to become ineffective, due to shifting and air pockets. The fact that movement is possible means that it's also not a tight enough hold to facilitate heat dissipation. When upright, the heatsink will likely tilt and wouldn't make complete contact with the heat-spreader on the CPU.

(also, I notice how easily it's rotating, which makes me worry about the over-application of thermal paste as well as the tightness. The movement from the rotation could cause the paste to travel, and if it's conductive could cause a short in your CPU or surrounding circuits.)

these are all awesome points and im going to clean up the top of the socket then screw in the cpu cooler. i will update when i get a change in result

Aug 13, 2019

update.

i screwed in the cooler, cleaned off the bottom of the cpu with rubbing alcohol and let it dry, reset the cmos by removing and putting the battery back in, and moved the ram to a different slot. i also made sure that there was no heat death or shorting by cleaning the surrounding metal parts of the socket off, firmly and securely letting the heatsink rest on the cpu, and making sure the socket had no paste on any of the pins.

whenever i turn on the desktop, every time it flashes for 10 seconds as if resetting the cmos. it shuts itself off automatically after and flashes indefinitely. i have done this several times and it consistently continues this behavior.

there's no video output from the graphics card, the fans stay at 50% and never change, and the chassis fan doesn't do anything.

i checked the standoffs to make sure the motherboard isnt shorting through contact with the case, and it's completely fine. the ram is in slot B2, furthest away from the cpu