Question My Asus G17 laptop (2021) won't turn on and no lights come on

masterpeter1992

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
So I recently purchased an ASUS G17 laptop, it has been working fine, updated everything Myasus and armoury crate showed, drivers, bios....

But, last night I left it downloading something, and I wake up to a dead laptop. It is off, won't turn on, I changed the charger from outlet and tried a different Asus 20V (same as the problem laptop) charger and it does not make a difference.
The charger from the problem laptop does charge alright another Asus laptop I have. So that is ruled out.

What else can I try?

The model is: ASUS G17 - 2021 - 5900HX - RTX 3070 (G713QR-ES96)

It was bought open box on newegg.

Is the battery integrated or is it removable? If you can remove it, do so, unplug the power, and press and hold the power button for about 20-30 seconds with nothing else plugged in. This will drain the flea power off the system. Once you've done that, put the battery back in, plug it back up and try to turn it back on and see what happens.

If you can't remove the battery (which is really, really frustrating sometimes) unplug it and press and hold the power button for 1 minute with nothing plugged in and repeat the same steps above.

It's important to not have anything else plugged in during this time like an external keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. as we want only the charger and the battery to be the source of power for the unit.

When you plug either charger into this laptop, does it give any indications that it's charging or that the AC adapter is plugged in?

masterpeter1992

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
Is the battery integrated or is it removable? If you can remove it, do so, unplug the power, and press and hold the power button for about 20-30 seconds with nothing else plugged in. This will drain the flea power off the system. Once you've done that, put the battery back in, plug it back up and try to turn it back on and see what happens.

If you can't remove the battery (which is really, really frustrating sometimes) unplug it and press and hold the power button for 1 minute with nothing plugged in and repeat the same steps above.

It's important to not have anything else plugged in during this time like an external keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. as we want only the charger and the battery to be the source of power for the unit.

When you plug either charger into this laptop, does it give any indications that it's charging or that the AC adapter is plugged in?

The battery is integrated. I kept the power button pressed for more than 1 minute and nothing happened.

With both charger there is no indication that the AC adapter was plugged in, no sound, no lights, nothing. Also, I have a kill a watt meter and it and it shows no consumption at all when plugged in the laptop.

The battery is integrated. I kept the power button pressed for more than 1 minute and nothing happened.

With both charger there is no indication that the AC adapter was plugged in, no sound, no lights, nothing. Also, I have a kill a watt meter and it and it shows no consumption at all when plugged in the laptop.
If you're not getting any indication of power going into the laptop it is likely dead. Make sure you are not plugged into a surge supressor and only directly into the wall for the time being as well. If still no dice, you could be looking at a faulty motherboard or charging port possibly. Does the indicator come on if you move the charger in the port a little bit?

masterpeter1992

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
If you're not getting any indication of power going into the laptop it is likely dead. Make sure you are not plugged into a surge supressor and only directly into the wall for the time being as well. If still no dice, you could be looking at a faulty motherboard or charging port possibly. Does the indicator come on if you move the charger in the port a little bit?

I had it connected to an APC UPS. But for this test you told me I plugged it directly to the wall. If I wiggle the connector at the laptop's charging port it does not make any difference, no light comes on.

That's what I thought, that it was something major wrong. It is a shame for such an expensive laptop (at least for me). I will contact newegg and or Asus but I really wanted to fix it myself because I'm overseas right now and I imagine the return/rma process will be a hassle this way. Also newegg lied because it is not just open box, like a return from someone, it is a refurbished laptop since the box it came in had a Asus repair note, thanking me for "trusting asus to service the unit"

I wanted to open it to see if it was something obvious in the motherboard, or battery connections but I don't know if that will void the warranty.

I had it connected to an APC UPS. But for this test you told me I plugged it directly to the wall. If I wiggle the connector at the laptop's charging port it does not make any difference, no light comes on.

That's what I thought, that it was something major wrong. It is a shame for such an expensive laptop (at least for me). I will contact newegg and or Asus but I really wanted to fix it myself because I'm overseas right now and I imagine the return/rma process will be a hassle this way. Also newegg lied because it is not just open box, like a return from someone, it is a refurbished laptop since the box it came in had a Asus repair note, thanking me for "trusting asus to service the unit"

I wanted to open it to see if it was something obvious in the motherboard, or battery connections but I don't know if that will void the warranty.

Yeah, if you intend to contact them about returning it most definitely don't open it up as that will void any chances you have. I agree that NewEgg should have been transparent about the type of unit it was ESPECIALLY with it having a repair tag on it still.