My Asus Strix GTX 970 review

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Today i bought 2 x Asus STRIX GTX 970's to replace my Zotac 780 TI OC. £600 for both cards.

i5 4670k @ 4.0ghz
16GB 1600
2 x Asus GTX 970

I've managed a stable overclock to 1442mhz GPU (Boost) and 1824Mhz Memory (still early days) I'm blown away how powerful these cards are in SLI.

screenshot_161.jpg

screenshot_161.jpg

screenshot_161.jpg

Card 1 / Card 2
screenshot_161.jpg

They outperform a Titan Z ! - but obviously has 8GB less ram but still £1600 less.

screenshot_161.jpg

Alex Kelly

Honorable
Very nice review :) do you think it's worth sending my MSI back when it arrives to get the Strix? I'm still undecided. Does the SLI bridge cover the Strix logo, and have you noticed the right side of them drooping?

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Well apparently the MSI cards are the best according to one review on the net, i think its tit for tat tbh. The asus card is a great performer.

no the sli bridge doesnt cover the logo.

Alex Kelly

Honorable
I decided to return my MSI and get this. It just looks like a premium card and it'll look really nice in my H440, the MSI is very plasticy and doesn't look clean. I am shallow haha but I think I'll be happy I did it.

maxtex

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Hmm the MSI was plasticy? I thought it would all be metal.. How was its performance though?
I just got notice that my card will arrive on Monday (although I'll believe it when i see it), so i'm happy about that, hope i can try it out then :)
So how long do you gotta wait for your strix now?

Thanks Jonathan. Pretty low on that second card.

@Alex,
ASIC quality is a measure of how much current leakage a GPU chip exhibits.

The general rule of thumb is the more leakage (low score-50s, 60s) the less you can OC on air, but the higher you can OC on water, because usually more leakage means more power, as long as you can control the heat output.

Conversely, the less leakage (high score-80s, 90s) the more effectively you can OC on air, but less effectively on water.

Factory OCed chips are generally those which have been tested for low current leakage, but the final test, and the one that primarily matters in real world application, is how much they can OC it.

These are only rules of thumb though, and often real world results show otherwise.

Alex Kelly

Honorable
Where do I find the option to test this in GPU-Z?
I got my MSI 970, it looks amazing in my H440, matches really well. My max temps are 63C which is damn impressive, but it has pretty bad coil whine.
Think I'm going to exchange it for the Strix, although it'll cost me.

Why would you do that?

The MSI has been reviewed at running cooler and quieter then the Asus at a much higher clock speed. Check out Guru 3D's review on the cards.

Alex Kelly

Honorable
57.9. Does coil whine go away after a while? It already seems mine is not as loud as it was a couple hours ago and I'm considering keeping it...
Mine boosts to 1455Mhz at stock :O

^ Too many people only talk about/care about the clock speed when OCing.

I've too many times seen 3 or 4 cards reviewed by the same tester, via the same exact test bench, showing cards with higher clocks don't always play at higher FPS.

Look at Guru3D's tests of the Giga and MSI 970. It shows the MSI OCing to 1500MHz, and the Giga 1328MHz I think, but the Giga played at higher FPS in what they tested it on. It also runs 8c cooler at load.

If you get too caught up in the OC hype, it becomes a thing like world record CPU OCs, which get utterly ridiculous to the point of comparing only clock speed, with no regard to real world application, architectural differences, etc.

maxtex

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Daamn, well at least its less now. So was the coil whine only with the fans spinning or without? Hopefully it's totally gone soon, if not then join the strix party yeah :)

Although in other news, I don't even know if my 970 will arrive today.. Its weird, it said its gonna be delivered today on the tracker, but suddenly since yesterday there was a note added that "delivery has been delayed", although it still says it's gonna be delivered some time today. -_-

Alex Kelly

Honorable
Well hopefully it comes today! I can't hear the whine with my side panel on, and the card matches my case perfectly. It's overclocked really well so far so I think I'll actually be keeping it considering other people have reported some coil whine with ASUS cards too :)