Question My Asus VG248QG monitor shakes on video playback

Apr 27, 2022
I am not sure how to describe my problem exactly. Every video I play (online or off my hard drive, regardless of resolution or refresh rate) has shaking of objects in focus when they are moving or the camera pans.

The shaking (if that's even the right term) is worse the faster the object or camera moves.

I tested another monitor (Acer 720p) w/ the same PC and there was no such problem. I also replaced the DP cable and the problem persists.

One example is the YouTube video below. When the camera pans over the carvings on the wall, they "shake" on my screen.

View: https://youtu.be/eV30XIkDubo?t=321

It's worst when in full screen. The smaller the screen size the less noticeable it is.

I have looked all over but can't find any threads about this problem.

My Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13.7 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
BIOS Version/Date ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. 0802, 2015-07-28
SMBIOS Version 2.7
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I noted no shaking in the link.

Check the Asus website for any drives applicable to the Asus VG248.

Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure.

No third party tools or installers.

Determine if that corrects the problem.

Not sure about "playback": what are you using to "playback"?

Update your post to include OS, PSU, disk drives.

Try using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what your system does or tries to do when shaking occurs.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time,

Start by doing things that do not "shake". Then do things that do "shake". Look for what is different.

Apr 27, 2022
I noted no shaking in the link.

Check the Asus website for any drives applicable to the Asus VG248.

Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure.

No third party tools or installers.

Determine if that corrects the problem.

Not sure about "playback": what are you using to "playback"?

Update your post to include OS, PSU, disk drives.

Try using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what your system does or tries to do when shaking occurs.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time,

Start by doing things that do not "shake". Then do things that do "shake". Look for what is different.

Thanks for replying. I updated my post w/ additional specs. Also, I checked display adapter properties and it said I already have the latest driver for the monitor. In Task Manager CPU usage is steady at around 13% during playback (no change during the shaking). Speed is also steady.

By playback I mean everything from the YouTube video I linked above to videos I download and play in VLC Player. I've tried different players too, and resolutions for online videos w/ no improvement.

Like I said, if I reduce screen size the problem is less noticeable. So if I play the video I linked in my post at the size in this thread there is no shaking, but at default YouTube player size or above it's very noticeable.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022
I guess it would be more accurate to say that outlines/shapes on the screen shake or appear to move around when the camera pans or a person/object moves.

I uploaded a short video to YouTube that shows the effect.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_J9Uxsa5gQ&ab_channel=ChrisC

And again, I don't think it's my PC since I swapped out for my old monitor (720p Acer) and the problem went away. Switching DP cables also had no effect. So whatever this is must be monitor related.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022
Check the input settings, things like VRR, BFI, Freesync etc, see which are enabled and which aren't, check refresh rate, overdrive (40 is best), mode etc.

TBH, I am not sure what all of those settings are or where to find them.

Freesync - I do know it's a GSync compatible monitor and that it's turned on.

refresh rate - Refresh rate is 165hz at 1080p (that's the max refresh rate and resolution). I tried turning down both just to test but no change.

overdrive - I had tracefree at 60. turned it down to 40 and no change.

mode - There are 7 default visual modes (if that's what you mean). I tried them all and no change.

VRR - don't know what that is. (EDIT: OK, I found this under graphics settings in Windows 10 and turned it on. No change. It apparently only concerns games and I haven't had this problem while gaming)

BFI - ELMB equivalent is grayed out in monitor setting regardless which mode i use

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I can see the shaking in the second video.

Noted the specs: what PSU is installed? Make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Are you able to test the VG248 monitor on some other known working (plays videos, etc. without shaking) computer? All screen sizes, etc..

Based on the trouble shooting to date if the shaking continues on another computer, then the VG248 may be faulty/failing

How old is the monitor? History of heavy use for gaming and videos? Any warranty remaining?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what the system is doing or trying to do. Use both tools (run as admin) but only one tool at a time.

First observe watch a video when there is no shaking. Leave the Window open and watch a video with to shaking.
Especially if you can change screen sizes to "toggle" shaking. Look for some change in a resource between shaking and not shaking.

For example: How is memory being used?

Hopefully all that will provide some clue.

If not try a second round of methodical configuration changes and swaps being careful to change only one thing at a time.

It may well be that the monitor is, by elimination, the culprit.

Apr 27, 2022
I can see the shaking in the second video.

Noted the specs: what PSU is installed? Make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Are you able to test the VG248 monitor on some other known working (plays videos, etc. without shaking) computer? All screen sizes, etc..

Based on the trouble shooting to date if the shaking continues on another computer, then the VG248 may be faulty/failing

How old is the monitor? History of heavy use for gaming and videos? Any warranty remaining?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what the system is doing or trying to do. Use both tools (run as admin) but only one tool at a time.

First observe watch a video when there is no shaking. Leave the Window open and watch a video with to shaking.
Especially if you can change screen sizes to "toggle" shaking. Look for some change in a resource between shaking and not shaking.

For example: How is memory being used?

Hopefully all that will provide some clue.

If not try a second round of methodical configuration changes and swaps being careful to change only one thing at a time.

It may well be that the monitor is, by elimination, the culprit.

Thanks for you reply. I will try your recommendations and check the specs again once I get home from work.

In the meantime, check out this video. For some reason it doesn't shake for me like all the others.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hjLlFbBC4

Also, I am playing Mass Effect 2 at native resolution of 1080p and no noticeable shaking either.

Meanwhile, the video I linked in the OP shakes at 1080p but stats show optimal resolution is 720p. So i guess it's not actually a 1080p video? Strange.

Is it possible the monitor is optimized for native 1080p and just won't work properly w/ lower resolution video? Does that even make any sense?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Are you forcing resolutions on YouTube? Or setting the playback up auto? Videos are recorded/rendered according to whatever camera and/or editing software was used to make the video, so the really old ones will be anything from 260p to 480p to 720p all the way upto 4k for newer stuff. HD and FHD (720p and 1080p) are not the same thing. Might both be 16:9 but forcing one into the other, especially with Full Screen, can have some janky affects.

Apr 27, 2022
Are you forcing resolutions on YouTube? Or setting the playback up auto? Videos are recorded/rendered according to whatever camera and/or editing software was used to make the video, so the really old ones will be anything from 260p to 480p to 720p all the way upto 4k for newer stuff. HD and FHD (720p and 1080p) are not the same thing. Might both be 16:9 but forcing one into the other, especially with Full Screen, can have some janky affects.
Not sure what you mean by forcing. I use auto settings usually. It makes no difference anyway. Regardless of settings all videos shake (online or offline) except the one I linked above and my ME2 gameplay at 1080p.

BTW, the YouTube account whose video is in my last post has 2 other similar videos at different settings that shake for me when I play them. The only one that doesn't shake regardless of resolution setting is the video I linked above

Apr 27, 2022
HD and FHD (720p and 1080p) are not the same thing. Might both be 16:9 but forcing one into the other, especially with Full Screen, can have some janky affects.

Does that mean I will need to play all native 720p videos or lower at a really small screen size (like the default size in this thread) in order for them to play smoothly? Or is there some settings I need to tweak?

YouTube and other streaming sites auto select 1080p for me. And when I change it to 720 or lower the jerky effect is still there. So I am confused.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022
Ok yes, it's definitely the monitor and not my PC. I switched out the PC for my previous one and the same shaking happened at different resolutions and sizes. So no point in testing out the PC any longer. It's definitely a monitor issue.

I will hopefully be able to exchange it at Best Buy tomorrow. Maybe I'll ask if they have a better one for my setup. I don't want to be burned again by the same monitor.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022
I solved the problem, and you won't believe what it was.

It turns out after days of frustration that the screen was too bright. Once I turned brightness to 0 and contrast to 26, the shaking mostly stopped.

Thing is, my old monitor was also turned down to 0 brightness, which is why it didn't have the shaking when I swapped it out. Once I turned the brightness up it shock just like the new monitor.

I only realized this after going to Best Buy to replace the monitor and finding out that the replacement also shock. So it occurred to me when i plugged the old monitor in to check its settings. And that's when I realized it was dark.

So I guess in the end something is up w/ my refurbished PC.

It certainly sucks to work w/ a monitor this dark. But luckily this monitor allows me to save multiple settings so I can just go dark when watching videos.

Thanks to all of you who tried to help me. Much appreciated.

Last edited: