my athlon x4 620 37 Celsius on idle and 71 celsius on full load

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017
i set fresh thermal paste like 4 months ago and it was 50 degrees C on full load....Now on idle it hits 38C and on full load around 71C and my pc keeps turning off in games could it be that CPU is overheating? or that my PSU is too low on power? these are my specs

x4 620
8gb ddr3
gts 450 (1x6pin)
Power PFC 420w power supply (MODEL: LC6420)

ALSO WHEN WATCHING YOUTUBE VIDEO ITS 60 CELSIUS

Solution
Get something which is tried and trusted like Arctic Silver 5. A bit of quality can go a long way. Hopefully it will help with the temperatures and the issue is cleared up.
Your thermal paste must have cooked off. Have you overclocked it? I have that exact same chip in a legacy system and these temps do seem strange.
The PSU is too small if you have overclocked it, my system pulled off more than 380W from the plug on full CPU use and no GPU use.

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017

Thanks for fast reply so i have NEVER overclocked anything it seems scary to even try to do it...So i ordered a new gpu to replace this one its 750ti has no power connectors and if i replace thermal paste should it get normal?? (750 ti is like 60w and my now gts is over 100w) would that fix problem?(of pc turning off)

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017

Thanks for fast reply so i have NEVER overclocked anything it seems scary to even try to do it...So i ordered a new gpu to replace this one its 750ti has no power connectors and if i replace thermal paste should it get normal?? (750 ti is like 60w and my now gts is over 100w) would that fix problem?(of pc turning off)

Since you're referring to temperature and not thermal margin suggests you're not using AMD Overdrive: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/amd-overdrive

The older AMD processors require AMD Overdrive for a more accurate reading of thermals. Note that thermal margins work the other way: the higher the thermal margin, the cooler the processor. It shows the headroom to overheating. As long as thermal margin is a positive value on a full load, it will be fine.

From experience, depending on what hardware monitor you're using, it sounds about right. But double check with AMD Overdrive.

For reference: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017

downloaded the amd overdrive i have not got the chipset for it and im looking at temps at Core Temp where i just was testing what the problem is because my pc in the middle of CSGO match TURNS OFF when i power it on it does it again and again and sooner and sooner but when i let it go for a while or turn it off it lasts a bit longer in match or whatever so what is the problem?????

Missed the turn off part. How old is the power supply now? If you can, use something like HWiNFO to see what the voltage readings are. If the PC just shuts down like that it could also be a PSU issue as well as CPU overheating.

Odd that Overdrive doesn't work for it as it covers the AM3 to FM2+ era for the most part.

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017

ok so psu is like 6months old or something like that i downloaded the hwinfo and here ill attach the photo somehow i dont know for what to look for

PHOTO: http://prntscr.com/m2jedv

There should be a Sensors tab near the top. Click on that and a pop up window should appear. Scroll down to the motherboard section and there should be voltage readings there. For example:

YIAWLh7.png

EDIT: sounds unlikely to be a PSU issue if it's that new, but may as well eliminate it as a probable cause.

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017

here you go

http://prntscr.com/m2k3m8

Curiously the figures I'm looking for (the +12V and +5V readings) aren't there for the motherboard. Very strange. Not sure if another hardware monitor will have those readings.

Reading back the posts, have you tried new thermal paste given it was suspected as a temperature issue?

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017

i didnt try to replace thermal paste but it is the case like 80% because i bought a cheap thermal paste and gave it to the guy who built it it was like $1 and i asked him now he said that it is a cheap and it should be replaced approximately every 2months soo in 2 days ill try and replace it and im reporting back :)

As Obakasama said.

Now, since this is also a 9+ years old system, there IS a possibility your motherboard is getting old and its capacitors are getting long in the tooth - this can lead to instabilities on sustained load.

About your CPU : as I told you, I have the exact same chip (Athlon X4 620) and I could overclock the sh*t out of it - on its base voltage I can push it up to 3200 MHz, and I even reached 3400 MHz with a slightly raised voltage (1.4V) and a Noctua tower cooler.
It also means that you can try reducing its voltage a bit - this doesn't impact performance and if done reasonably shouldn't reduce its stability, but it does reduce power consumption a LOT - and thus, it reduces the load on the motherboard. I managed to lower it to 1.325V, and temperatures lowered a lot. I seem to remember that it shaved 15-20W off the total system consumption too.