My (awful) Dell Experience

Dustix

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
It may seem intimidating to read my whole experience with Dell, but this would not only help me but for others who have similar experiences and for future reference.(And I have no other place to rant this out lol)

So I want to point out some things :

I ordered a Dell Inspiron 15 7577 last July 2018 from Best Buy which has an i7, GTX 1060 6gb,16gb RAM, and 256gb SSD plus 1TB storage combo.(Because it was easier for my mom’s friend to order it there than from Amazon)

Of course, the retail value of this configuration in local stores is really high. Some retails around with 90% mark-up. Last price I saw (according to Lazada.ph) is PhP 90,000 or USD 1,670

I may look like I am against the company;however, I am only complaining on how the procedures,policies, terms, and etc. are implemented or applied.

Dell is one the worst overall customer service that I have experienced. Ever since my laptop broke just because it shorted out when I was doing my homework which is possibly due to a factory defect. Never have I have been so disappointed and felt “scammed” from a multi-million company. It has been over 2 months since my laptop was fully operational(and while composing this, it was only around 80% functional) and it was a dreadful experience. I will be straightforward and not make it emotional as possible. This is not against the people under Dell, as far as I know, they were only doing their jobs. My only concern is how the company itself deals with this kind of problem and how poorly it was for me.

When my laptop broke out of the blue(it just turned off and I could never turn it on again), of course I panicked, it was a premium laptop and it broke just like that. After a few moments of troubleshooting, thinking that there might be something that I could do, I gave in and contacted support. In summary of speaking to Dell in the first TWO WEEKS, all of the solutions that the agents told me was to contact the US Customer Service(as I was calling through the International Line), so of course as a person who rarely experiences this kind of inconveniences from a world-class company, I let the disappointment slide out. There was an incident where one of the agents I spoke to thought I was based from Indonesia, I clearly stated that I resided in the Philippines and gave me a number which was based in Indonesia. Other from that, all I received were numbers that I could not call, it was either closed or an invalid number. Day by day, I had to wait and call the numbers at different times, I even had to contact them through Twitter. I thought I had to call them in different times but no, I just wasted my time and effort and it did not add progress in resolving my issue.

On the third week, I contacted Dell Philippines. Surprisingly they were very accommodating to my issue, they said I should contact this store which is partnered with Dell called “Villman Computer Co.”. I contacted them and said that I should go to one of their Dell Concept stores to purchase the “Premium Support” so I could get avail for an “On-site Repair”. I looked up to what the upgraded support includes and so far it fits to my needs in repairing my laptop, particularly on the On-Site Repair. So I went to the nearest store and paid around 3500 Philippine Pesos which is around 65 USD. I was not really happy to pay for it. They said I had to wait for at least 60 days to process it. It sounds really odd, why 60 days? Why do they need that much time? Just for them to record that I have Premium support enclosed in my laptop? From that point, Dell has been really inconvenient putting me,a customer, in such a hassle to fix THEIR defective product and which I have used it below limitations.I was using a gaming laptop for web browsing and MS word and it just broke?

After a week(third week), I called Dell PH regarding to follow up my Premium Support, it turns out, it was recorded that I have Premium Support in my laptop. It was weird, they informed me that I had to wait for at least 60 days for the Premium Support to be processed and when I called, that’s when I knew it was processed. I can't tell exactly how it works, but if for instance that they already processed the premium support earlier than what is expected, why would not they inform their customer that it was already recorded? That is only my speculation.

Fourth week, I contacted Dell to call in an On-Site Technician and they said that they will dispatch one within 1 to 2 days depending on the availability of parts. I called on a Friday and their dispatch will come on Monday the following week as they do not work on weekends. The nice thing about it is that I receive text messages from Dell regarding if the part has been ordered,shipped,and received.

Fifth week, the technician arrived, replacing the motherboard and the charging port(which was possibly the cause of surge or when the laptop shorted out). The first technician was not successful, the laptop turns on but does not boot, the technician claimed that the motherboard was defective and had to call in for another repair. Another technician came on a Friday, replaced the same parts plus a new heatsink. The laptop was able to boot but after a few moments there was a Blue Screen. We were both in shock as I only opened File Explorer to check my files then it happened. The technician changed the RAM stick in case that it was the cause then told me to contact Dell if the problem persisted. Everything was fine in the laptop, I thought of reformatting it just so I could have a fresh start from the new motherboard. I tested everything in the laptop and then when I came to the GPU benchmarks(with the use of Valley), the FPS were so low, so I thought that I needed to update the Nvidia drivers but no. Device Manager said that there is an “Error 43” on my GPU. So I did every troubleshoot that I could do. I tried restarting, using DDU,updating Windows, using old drivers,BIOS update, and nothing. Reformatting didn’t solve it either. So I emailed Dell regarding it.

Sixth week. Dell decided to remotely troubleshoot the issue. What they did was the same way I did it. DDU this,install drivers, same result. They tried again. Nothing, Error 43. So they dispatched another technician( third technician so far). Replaced the motherboard and the same Error 43.The first two technicians only took around an hour and a half while this one took around four hours! No progress whatsoever. The technician called in for remote access on my laptop, they did the same thing, they said that it could be a “Software Conflict”.How? Windows should work out of the box and there should not be any software conflict because what could possibly be of conflict? I am no professional in this case but it doesn't make sense. I was depressed that I could only use the laptop for light gaming,web browsing, homework , and not for what is designed for. It would be better for me to get a low-budget work laptop just for these.

Seventh week. I have been emailing Dell regarding my Error 43 and I frequently get blue screens with an error “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL”. I read a few forums it could be the network drivers,hardware problem or the other drivers. A Dell representative said it has something to do with the network drivers not being updated. I updated my drivers and everything and I still get the same Blue Screen at unexpected times. From this point, Dell has been really slow in resolving this and in their overall performance. I needed to make a follow-up email and they keep telling me to send event log files and that they will bring this problem to a higher department. I have been actively replying to them as soon as I have received their reply and it takes around at least the whole day or the next day for me to receive theirs. A few days, still no progress. I know that I am not the only one experiencing this problem, but this is frustrating on my part as it affects my academics.

Eight week. Same thing as last week. Error 43 and Blue Screens plus slow emails. It came to me that I had enough of this incompetency and I demanded a replacement unit because I was tired of wasting time,money and possibly their resources making the motherboards for replacement and ends up as defective.

Ninth Week. Dell said that they could not replace my unit because it was originally purchased from the US(which I am aware of). I also discovered that the Error 43 is a hardware problem. I tried to install Ubuntu that maybe I could make a work around a solution on the problem. When I tried to install Ubuntu, the screen turns black, nothing happens. I have tested the USB drive in another laptop(an HP laptop) and Ubuntu boots like normal unlike in the 7577. I called Dell regarding a follow-up of whole parts replacement and I really hope that 4th time’s the charm. Furthermore, I asked the procedure of getting a whole unit replacement and I have doubts that it would just be a waste of time and money because I have to ship it back to the US and they do not know how long it would take for me to receive the replacement. They also said that I could get an upgraded unit if ever the replacement fails but I have to pay for the upgrade, what? I know they just want to let me know about that but that is completely irrelevant for my case due to the fact that I have kept my patience for over 2 months. Again, I am not against the people who have assisted me in this case and to the Philippine department, it is the policies and procedures that just make the company reprehensible in providing quality products and services. It is hard for me to appreciate the small details of their services.Like their accommodating PH support, on-site technician(I was surprised that it was available in the Philippines), premium support, and a really nice gaming laptop. I was really depressed about this issue in my laptop. I relied on it for my recreation,productivity, and especially, for my academics(not that my education came from the laptop(lol), most of my school works are done here).

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I am sorry you have had a bad experience.

I have had nothing but good experience, we buy many latitude model for work and do get a solid 3 years out of most.

Is there a technical question here or are you just ranting?

You have been through too much difficulty.
They should have replaced the laptop right away.
I bought one Dell in the 90's. After that I started building my own computers and have never regretted it.

Dustix

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015

I appreciate your sympathy and like I said, I am just ranting.

TRENDING THREADS