[SOLVED] My b450 tomhawk max MB only work with 2 slots of ram i tried to put the third the pc gives dram issue

Jun 17, 2021
Please help i have tried everything ...i have 24 gskill ram and i got new Corsair 18gb ram same 3200 mhz
But when i put the new corsair pc doesn't boot only operate and gives dram issue red led
So i wanted to checl if it's compatibility issue so i got out 1 g skill ram and put the corsair ram and the gskill in dual channel they work so tried to put the third gives the same issue ......anyone got this problem
...do u think that happens because they are from different manufacturers but if there is a problem of compatibility why then the gskill work with corsair in 2 slots and whatever is put in the third slot the pc doesn't boot

Last edited:
Solution
Please help i have tried everything ...i have 24 gskill ram and i got new Corsair 18gb ram same 3200 mhz
But when i put the new corsair pc doesn't boot only operate and gives dram issue red led
So i wanted to checl if it's compatibility issue so i got out 1 g skill ram and put the corsair ram and the gskill in dual channel they work so tried to put the third gives the same issue ......anyone got this problem
...do u think that happens because they are from different manufacturers but if there is a problem of compatibility why then the gskill work with corsair in 2 slots and whatever is put in the third slot the pc doesn't boot
Mixing RAM modules can always cause problems. I believe your main problem is that you try to...
Mixing RAM modules can always cause problems. I believe your main problem is that you try to install 3 modules. Even the motherboard manual never refers to a 3 modules config. By installing a third module even if the system manage to work then you will lose the dual channel (it will run at single channel) so that by on its own will hurt your CPU performance because dual channel and memory speed is a big factor for Ryzen CPU's. You either have to buy a 2x8GB kit or a 4x4GB kit for it to work.

Reactions: Govanni
Solution
Jun 17, 2021
Mixing RAM modules can always cause problems. I believe your main problem is that you try to install 3 modules. Even the motherboard manual never refers to a 3 modules config. By installing a third module even if the system manage to work then you will lose the dual channel (it will run at single channel) so that by on its own will hurt your CPU performance because dual channel and memory speed is a big factor for Ryzen CPU's. You either have to buy a 2x8GB kit or a 4x4GB kit for it to work.
Thanks buddy but how can i make sure that if i got 4 rams each 4gb it will work as i started to doubt my motherboard

Thanks buddy but how can i make sure that if i got 4 rams each 4gb it will work as i started to doubt my motherboard
There is a memory support list on your motherboard website with all the tested and working kits https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#support-mem-19 (each CPU architecture has its own list because the memory support also depends on the CPU) . You should either buy a new 1x8 Corsair (same as the one that you have) so you will have 2x8GB or buy a new 2x4 Gskill kit (same as the one that you have) so you will have 4x4GB. Less modules is better for compatibility.

Reactions: Govanni
Jun 17, 2021
There is a memory support list on your motherboard website with all the tested and working kits https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#support-mem-19 (each CPU architecture has its own list because the memory support also depends on the CPU) . You should either buy a new 1x8 Corsair (same as the one that you have) so you will have 2x8GB or buy a new 2x4 Gskill kit (same as the one that you have) so you will have 4x4GB. Less modules is better for compatibility.
Thanks for ur help buddy❤