My best option to repair or reinstall Windows

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

My computer went to Repair loop after using Reset instead of proper shut down. It allows me to access advanced tools. If I try "Restore from last checkpoint," it says no checkpoint was created. It fails to repair itself and fails to Refresh Windows. Why would it fail to Refresh Windows, even if I select to remove all files? Do I need to have installation media USB connected for it to be able to do it?

I do have another SSD connected to this computer with active Windows. Can it help me in any way?

I have few installation USB sticks from older versions like 1607 and Creators. Is it good for anything? I don't have extra USB stick that I would dedicate, may take a while if I order it, but I don't want to delete these old Window installs- I like to know that I have them just in case. Can any of these USB sticks be used to Repair the Windows already installed. I am not sure why it would not repair it when I use Refresh Windows option. To repair- does it have to be latest Windows? Thank you.

Astralv

Distinguished
I do not have any data on that drive, I just dread to reinstall all the drivers. So if I boot to this defective drive and it offers me Repair tools, do I need to have USB stick with installation media? It offers me to Refresh Windows without any USB sticks but it fails. Why would it fail- is it because it needs installation media? Is it possible to refresh Windows if I only had one SSD, no USB stick?

Astralv

Distinguished
I can get to Windows Startup Repair tools from the faulty drive after it attempts repair itself and fails. I have tried every option there, including Startup repair, Refresh and keep files, Refresh and delete files- nothing works. It just says, "Unable to refresh Windows". If I try to Boot to Windows, it goes to Auto Repair again and repeats the cycle. Thanks.

you will need to boot from a USB install and get to the recovery options from there

Astralv

Distinguished
Can I use older USB or will it install older version? If I do full reinstall, I would like to install latest and unstable 2018 update, but if it just needs some files for repair, then I could use old USB install media, right?

you should be able to. i believe MS still has the october 2018 update rolled back but even so it was unstable in rare cases. have not not have any issues with that update on my PC and i have had it since it was first released at the beginning of october

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for all replies. The repair options did not work from new installation media. First time I attempted to use Refresh tools accessed through USB stick, it said- I need to specify what OS I want to refresh (I have 2 SSDs with windows installations on this computer, the newer one was corrupted). But it did not give me any options to select what OS. It just wanted to restart. Next time I booted from USB stick, it did not offer Refresh at all. I would go to Repair Computer at the bottom of Install screen and it would take me to advanced tools, but it only offered Restore from Restore point, no Refresh. So... I went on and installed all new Windows 10 on that drive, and it works now. Still have the same issue about it not turning on Monitor/graphics card after it wakes up from sleep, which forces me to use Reset because I can't properly Shut down, which caused OS to corrupt, but I should probably start a thread under graphics cards about it... Thank you again.

Astralv

Distinguished
The motherboard is Asus Z87 Deluxe, it was top of the line motherboard for 2014. I did all the updates on BIOS few years ago, they don't post any updates. I do have a KVM switch and currently use DP ports with 2 monitors. It is possibility that DP continue sleeping when computer wakes up. But this is my like 4th KVM switch. I had DVI KVM switches and I believe it was doing the same thing. I am so used to just hit Reset button when computer comes back but monitor is out, that I did not think twice- it never corrupted Windows. I just installed Windows and it did not come back last night- after I already installed latest AMD driver. I have AMD Radeon HD 7870 graphics. Very frustrating because if I work on something and computer goes to sleep and then wakes up without signal to monitor, I have to use Reset or Shut down and lose my work. And last time it corrupted Windows. I have 1TB ADATA SSD and I don't store anything on it out of fear that I will have to reinstall Windows again. It is weird- it actually got worse when I switched to 4K monitors, it also freaks out when only one monitor is on some time. I have to see how it will behave with this reinstall, but the problem is all the way from 2014. Thanks.