[SOLVED] My bios cpu is at 4.2 GHz but it shows 4.5 GHz in taskbar. Could it be because of XTU or Quick CPU causing booting problems.

Wimpy Mike

Commendable
Jan 23, 2021
Hey guys, I have a i7700k with a z270x, I tried overclocking using XTU and which I uninstalled after putting in a stupid amount, I also downloaded Quick CPU if that matters at all. The next day everything was fine and working so I assumed my PC was fine. The next day it had troubles booting up (1/21) and after several boots/crashes, it just works for the rest of the day. I assumed it was a problem with my Samsung 960 EVO which I downloaded multiple software to check and all of them said it was good. I checked the taskbar and my CPU was at 4.5 GHz but then I went into bios and it was 4.2 GHz which confuses me, I don't know if that's the problem so then I downloaded XTU again to change my speed back to 4.2 GHz. I don't want to do this every boot so I'm coming here to ask some questions,

Is it normal for it to go up to 4.5 GHz?
Also can using high performance for power options cause negative effects? PC is around 3-4 years old.

I know I shouldn't be messing without experience and I've learned my lesson.
If it's not a CPU problem would anyone mind showing me how to check my GPU and power supply for a failure, thank you. Feel free to request any information.

(Gtx 1070, 32 GB RB, 750 watt, i7 7700k, z270x) (Samsung 960 EVO, WDC WD10EZEX)

Solution
If MCE is enabled in BIOS, or manual multiplier has selected 45X as multiplier, it should/will hit 4.5 GHz on all cores under load even when in Balanced Power plan...(Performance mode alone should not alone cause/allow 4500 MHz all core clock speeds under load)

Default Intel behavior would be 4.2 GHz on all cores when all are under a load...; Balanced Power plan will allow cores to go as low as 800-1200 MHz when loafing at the desktop, which seems ideal. (I've been in that mode for 2 years or so, but at 4.7 GHz all core (with XTU tweaks, offset of 2 in AVX loads), with temps at 68-72C under load; even another 100 MHz raised temps too high and induced errors in Prime95/small FFTs unless bumping core voltage, and that last 100 MHz did...
If MCE is enabled in BIOS, or manual multiplier has selected 45X as multiplier, it should/will hit 4.5 GHz on all cores under load even when in Balanced Power plan...(Performance mode alone should not alone cause/allow 4500 MHz all core clock speeds under load)

Default Intel behavior would be 4.2 GHz on all cores when all are under a load...; Balanced Power plan will allow cores to go as low as 800-1200 MHz when loafing at the desktop, which seems ideal. (I've been in that mode for 2 years or so, but at 4.7 GHz all core (with XTU tweaks, offset of 2 in AVX loads), with temps at 68-72C under load; even another 100 MHz raised temps too high and induced errors in Prime95/small FFTs unless bumping core voltage, and that last 100 MHz did not seem worth 85C temps)

Solution