[SOLVED] My bios does not detect my M.2 ssd but clonzilla and windows detect it

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdouss

Commendable
Feb 22, 2017
Hello everybody.
I tried to look for similar questions in the forums, but it either was not my situation, or the answers were not applicable (or else I missed some others).
I recently mounted a new ssd Addlink S70 M.2 2280 on my Asus H97 pro gamer motherboard. My problem is that my bios does not detect it, and thus could not boot on it. If I launch clonezilla (from live usb) or windows (from my hard drive) I can access and see it. Actually I cloned my hard drive to this ssd. But my first problem is that my s70 m2 is not even detectable or selectable to boot from in my bios. My bios doesn't seem to have an update from asus website.

Solution
Hello,
As I said in my question, it is a H97-PRO Gamer board and not a Z97, and Asus website does not have any updates.
Sorry, I mean H97.

BIOS:
Is it on v2503?

And support for m.2 port booting with boards of that era was spotty.
My current Z97 wouldn't do it without the most recent BIOS update.

lesterf1020

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
First Things First. According to your manual the M.2 socket shares bandwith with PCIEx1_1 and PCIEx1_2 in PCIE mode and Sata6G_4 in Sata mode. So what mode are you running it in and are you using slots PCIEx1_1 or PCIEx1_2 or Sata6G_4 ?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello everybody.
I tried to look for similar questions in the forums, but it either was not my situation, or the answers were not applicable (or else I missed some others).
I recently mounted a new ssd Addlink S70 M.2 2280 on my Asus H97 pro gamer motherboard. My problem is that my bios does not detect it, and thus could not boot on it. If I launch clonezilla (from live usb) or windows (from my hard drive) I can access and see it. Actually I cloned my hard drive to this ssd. But my first problem is that my s70 m2 is not even detectable or selectable to boot from in my bios. My bios doesn't seem to have an update from asus website.

1. What BIOS version are you on? Z97 boards usually require the most recent BIOS update to work with a drive in the m.2 port.
  2. Ignore CloneZilla. There are much better cloning tools available today.

hdouss

Commendable
Feb 22, 2017
First Things First. According to your manual the M.2 socket shares bandwith with PCIEx1_1 and PCIEx1_2 in PCIE mode and Sata6G_4 in Sata mode. So what mode are you running it in and are you using slots PCIEx1_1 or PCIEx1_2 or Sata6G_4 ?
Thanks for your reply.
First, I don't have any devices or cables attached to the PCIEx1_1, PCIEx1_2 or Sata6G_4 sockets.
In the bios menu, I have an option to enable or disable the PCIE mode, in the description it says "Disabled : the M2 will be disabled", so it seems like I have a choice between enabling PCIE mode and disabling M2 completely. By the way, when I select disabled, my SSD does not get recognized by Windows anymore.
Now in my bios I enabled the PCIE mode.

hdouss

Commendable
Feb 22, 2017
  1. What BIOS version are you on? Z97 boards usually require the most recent BIOS update to work with a drive in the m.2 port.
  2. Ignore CloneZilla. There are much better cloning tools available today.
Hello,
As I said in my question, it is a H97-PRO Gamer board and not a Z97, and Asus website does not have any updates.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
Sorry, I mean H97.

BIOS:
Is it on v2503?

Solution

hdouss

Commendable
Feb 22, 2017
Sorry, I mean H97.

BIOS:
Is it on v2503?

Thanks. I thought that was not an update, but the only bios version (and thus the one I have).
I update the bios and now my M2 is detected by BIOS.
For future readers, I still can't find a way to enable my M2 in SATA mode. Even with the last bios version I can't find the menu entry described in the manual under PCH Storage Configuration -> M.2 SATA mode.
Now, windows does not boot from my M2 stating "Inaccessible BOOT Device" This is wierd since the cloning has even took the same disk signature.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks. I thought that was not an update, but the only bios version (and thus the one I have).
I update the bios and now my M2 is detected by BIOS.
For future readers, I still can't find a way to enable my M2 in SATA mode. Even with the last bios version I can't find the menu entry described in the manual under PCH Storage Configuration -> M.2 SATA mode.
Now, windows does not boot from my M2 stating "Inaccessible BOOT Device" This is wierd since the cloning has even took the same disk signature.

This drive?
https://www.amazon.com/addlink-Gen3x4-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07K7LRB2T

It is an NVMe drive, not a SATA drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.