Question My BIOS randomly crashes on startup?

JamesRiddles

Prominent
Mar 21, 2019
Recently I decided to buy a new case, ssd, and ram for my pc build. After putting it all together I was met with the unpleasant surprise of numerous troubles with booting up my PC. First my pc kept booting from the wrong ssd no matter how many times I tried changing it. Secondly, whenever I would boot it kept booting to a windows prompt asking me which volume to boot from, volume 6 on my new ssd or volume 4 on my old one, even though I had wiped my old ssd. (It seems like I fixed this because I no longer have this issue but I'm including anything that might help). Third, every time I try to change my ram speed to the advertised 3200 mhz instead of the default 2100 mhz it is at, my bios crashes and I have to reset to optimized defaults. Lastly, every other boot no matter what I do, my bios crashes randomly. I have no idea what is causing this and the support team from my mobo's company is being absolutely useless. I would also like to mention that my periphials randomly stop working and even after sending in my mobo to get it repaired, they said nothing was wrong, sent it back, and the same issue is still occuring.
Specs:
  • i7-8700k
  • z390 aorus ultra 1.0
  • geforce gtx 970
  • 2x8gb corsair vengeance rgb @ 3200mhz
  • 2x8gb corsair vengeance rgb PRO @ 3200mhz (I was told this wouldnt create a problem and i've played around with it and have came to the same conclusion)
  • nzxt kraken x63
  • adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb (main ssd, the new one I bought)
  • samsung 970 evo 500 gb (old ssd)
  • corsair 750m PSU
  • bitfenix dawn tg case (idk if this will help but here it is)
Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated as this is starting to get really frustrating. I can usually solve these types of issues on my own but I have no clue as where to start or why this is happening. Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Corsair is the brand for the PSU while 750 is the wattage. The M denotes that the PSU is modular but we don't know the model for the PSU. How old is the unit? You might want to check and see if breadboarding(with bare minimum) the system crops the issue up.

Since you stated swapping the case out and that's when the issue came to be, what was your prior case? Which slots are the rams occupying on your motherboard? Did you reinstall the OS once you migrated to the new SSD?

JamesRiddles

Prominent
Mar 21, 2019
Corsair is the brand for the PSU while 750 is the wattage. The M denotes that the PSU is modular but we don't know the model for the PSU. How old is the unit? You might want to check and see if breadboarding(with bare minimum) the system crops the issue up.

Since you stated swapping the case out and that's when the issue came to be, what was your prior case? Which slots are the rams occupying on your motherboard? Did you reinstall the OS once you migrated to the new SSD?
The PSU I bought 6 years ago
My old case was a master cooler trooper? something like that
I have all 4 slots filled with ram
And no for the ssd question. By migrating do you mean copying my first ssd to the new one? Because I just did a hard wipe and started a new format and partition on the new ssd there