Question My bios shows 16gb of ram but windows only shows 8gb ???

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try reseat ram / switch them. If that doesn't help, might want to loosen the cpu cooler a bit. It might be on too tight. Or there could be a slightly bent cpu pin.

Went through a similar issue the other day if you want to look. Post #67 is when it was finally solved. No definite solution though but one of the suggestions above could be close.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-bios-and-cpu-z-does.3565772/page-3?view=date

Jan 30, 2020
Try reseat ram / switch them. If that doesn't help, might want to loosen the cpu cooler a bit. It might be on too tight. Or there could be a slightly bent cpu pin.

Went through a similar issue the other day if you want to look. Post #67 is when it was finally solved. No definite solution though but one of the suggestions above could be close.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-bios-and-cpu-z-does.3565772/page-3?view=date
i checked for bent pins when building

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No hiccups when putting cpu in so shouldnt be problem with pins and checked all pins one by one before putting it in

As i said before, a bent pin could have happened as you were installing the cpu. Wouldn't know 100% there isn't at least one that might be bent. Won't know until it is removed and checked.

Try without xmp first, if all ram is read in both Windows and bios then load xmp.

If loading optimised defaults doesn't work, remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes as explained in the guide.

Jan 30, 2020
As i said before, a bent pin could have happened as you were installing the cpu. Wouldn't know 100% there isn't at least one that might be bent. Won't know until it is removed and checked.

Try without xmp first, if all ram is read in both Windows and bios then load xmp.

If loading optimised defaults doesn't work, remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes as explained in the guide.
the plot thickens using cpu-z it says 16gb but not windows ten ???

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not really. The op in the thread i linked also said cpuz read all ram. But when they tested with Msi Afterburner monitoring memory usage in a game, the max ram amount was still 8, same amount Windows recorded. I encourage you to read that thread.

Jan 30, 2020
Not really. The op in the thread i linked also said cpuz read all ram. But when they tested with Msi Afterburner monitoring memory usage in a game, the max ram amount was still 8, same amount Windows recorded. I encourage you to read that thread.
i have read the thread dont quite understand how its helping ?

Jan 30, 2020
is msi afterburner showing gpu mem clock or ram mem clock?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I suggested seeing that thread because both of your problems are very similar. Most of the suggestions there were repeated here but wanted to see for yourself they too had all ram showing in cpuz & bios. Eventually the problem was solved, most likely them finding a bent pin. Windows now reads all ram for him.

Not that your problem is identical of course, similar yes. That's why i said earlier here, one of the suggestions i suggested there could be it or close. Windows not reading all ram is an unusual problem so tried giving you as much info as i could and things to try / look out for.

With Msi Afterburner just set to see memory usage and see what it gets up to.

Might also want to look at updating motherboard bios too.

TRENDING THREADS