My blue power light on HP DV2000 is blinking. No diplay

old phoneman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I have an HP DV2000 that appears to boot up. All blue lights are lit. After a time it will only show the bouncing Windows logo for the screensaver. The blue power light on the front as well as the blue power light on the (power on) button is then blinking constantly. Using an External display. Previously able to boot up normally and video worked on external display just fine. Downloaded 2 Bios updates from HP site and installed them. Also tried using Norton Ghost 11 to back up Hard Drive and quit Ghost after about 5 minutes. Didn't seem like it was working properly. Then tried backing up hard drive using installed OS Win XP Pro NT-backup. Seemed like it was taking a really long time to work, so quit that after about 10 minutes. Now, problem with the black screen external display came up and blue power light blinking constantly. Unplugged CMOS battery to reset CMOS. Tried Power down, remove battery (which is not holding a charge) and power back on with only AC power. Tried pushing F8 button on boot up. still cannot see anything on display. Was thinking to try and do a repair of the OS using my OS disc. Any other options I might try? I believe the original problem is the CCFL display bulb on the laptop since I previously replaced the video display inverter. Will repair that once I can get a good External video display. Any help is greatly appreciated.

blockhart329

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

Try disconnecting the switch that goes to the lid. The one that puts it to sleep when you close the lid. It shuts off the light in the display. I got a free laptop because it had this issue. The switch has a history of shorting out on this model.