[SOLVED] My board says it will support a 95 watt cooler. I am looking at buying a 65 watt cooler, will it be enough to cool my CPU?

bzzzb8

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
My board says it will support a 95 watt cooler. I am looking at buying a 65 watt cooler, will it be enough to cool my CPU?
My specs,
MOBO Asrock AB350M
CPU Ryzen 7 1700X
XFX 5600 XT
RAM 16 GB 2X8
Case fans, Five 120 MM
I am looking at this cooler,
Thermaltake UX100 5V Motherboard ARGB Sync 16.8 Million Colors 15 Addressable LED
Intel/AMD Universal Socket Hydraulic Bearing 65W CPU Cooler CL-P064-AL12SW-A

Solution
I think you misread something somewhere your motherboard might support upto a 95w cpu, but it'll fit any cooler designed for the socket. Whether the larger cooler fits inside your case is a different story.

It's a cpu cooler, bigger is always better. I'd not advise putting a cooler designed for 65w on a cpu that's 95w. I would advise a cooler designed at @ 140w, such as the CM hyper212 or deepcool Gammax 400 or the Arctic esports 33/34 series.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 1700x is a 95w cpu. it already comes with a 95w cooler.

why would you want to limit your processor with a 65w cooler that won't let the cpu work to its potential?

any upgrade to the cooling should be at least 125w if not more to allow PBO to really stretch it's wings

bzzzb8

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

why would you want to limit your processor with a 65w cooler that won't let the cpu work to its potential?

any upgrade to the cooling should be at least 125w if not more to allow PBO to really stretch it's wings
Well that is the point of my question, I dont have that much experience with cooler upgrades and I wanted to ask if that was OK. I really didn't know , but when I noticed the difference in wattage between the CPU and the cooler it raised a flag for me so I wanted to ask. Thanks for the reply too Its appreciated!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I think you misread something somewhere your motherboard might support upto a 95w cpu, but it'll fit any cooler designed for the socket. Whether the larger cooler fits inside your case is a different story.

It's a cpu cooler, bigger is always better. I'd not advise putting a cooler designed for 65w on a cpu that's 95w. I would advise a cooler designed at @ 140w, such as the CM hyper212 or deepcool Gammax 400 or the Arctic esports 33/34 series.

Last edited:
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Well that is the point of my question, I dont have that much experience with cooler upgrades and I wanted to ask if that was OK. I really didn't know , but when I noticed the difference in wattage between the CPU and the cooler it raised a flag for me so I wanted to ask. Thanks for the reply too Its appreciated!

no problem. i probably could have worded that response better. that's how you leanr is by asking the question. at least a red flag popped in your mind and you asked first :)

bzzzb8

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Also, I bought my board used, I didn't get the stock AMD cooler instead I have a coolermaster cooler that I think will do the job but it doesn't have any RGB to compliment my case fans that is why I am looking to make a switch. Simply to add more eye candy to it.

Actually, AMD didn't include a stock cooler with their 1000-series "X" parts. So the 1700 got a Spire RGB, but the 1700X and 1800X did not. They later released an optional package including the Wraith Max at a higher price, but that wasn't standard until the 2000-series, when they started including stock coolers across their entire lineup.

bzzzb8

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
lol. i just put together my new build with gigabyte aorus mobo designed for all kinds of lights.

first thing i did was turn em all off!!
Well after sitting behind a PC with NO RGB for 8 years I wanted to do something different, no lights? been there did that, bought the book yada yada yada LOL

bzzzb8

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Done wrong they can also look like a unicorn puked up a rainbow...

ARGB, rgb, led strips, even back to the days of the cathode tubes, lighting was intended as an accent to display the equipment. Not to dominate the pc.

Zoltar says the next fashion fad will be SFF....

And I like the choice to turn the lights off too, its just that I never had that choice before !