My Book Essentials, Windows 10 pro

SverreMunthe

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
P/N: WDBACW0030HBK-01

When I start the PC with it plugged in, or plugg it in after the PC has booted up.

It shows under PC. All external drives report a problem in Device Manager (still accessible). Disk Manager doesn't come up. File Explorer tries to find it, but freezes after a wile.

I installed 2 programs yesterday (battle.net (World of Warcraft) and curse (app finder for World of Warcraft)), but it doesn't help to uninstall them.

Restore point doesn't exist. For some reason it seems that it doesn't automatically activates when installing Windows 10 pro(???).

The drive has no system files only data and no programs are installed om it.

Hi there SverreMunthe,

Sorry that you are facing some issues with your WD drive. :(

It is not really clear what your problem actually is. So, your system freezes, when the drive is attached right?
Does these issues occur when the HDD is not attached to the system? Do you have important data stored on the drive?

My suggestion would be to try the following:
- Attach the drive with a different USB cable to another USB port.
- You can even attach the drive to a different computer.
- If you have important data stored on the drive, you can try to access it with some data recovery tool. There are many threads in the community on data recovery.
- Once you've recovered your data, you can test the drive with WD's DLG tool and see what is wrong with it: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3129766/book-essentials-windows-pro.html

If when trying to access the drive with software tools your system freezes, you can try using some data recovery tool for DOS mode, such as the Ubuntu Live CD: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode
Just boot up from a CD or a flash drive and see if your drive would be accessible.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_D :)

SverreMunthe

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

I have tried it on my WD TV Live, it doesn't find it.

The PC doesn't freeze, just File Explorer, and the Disk Manager doesn't show up.
Nothing of this happens when I unplug it, that being before boot or while the PC is running.

Is it possible to use such a tool when the disk isn't even accessible from Disk Manager and the Disk Manager stops working?

For an USB wire I guess it's possible that the wire that transmits data from the disk to the PC (USB is a serial connection) might have broken, so the disk can be seen by the PC, but not accessed because the disk doesn't reply? I'll come back with the result when I've checked the cable (it's fairly easy to measure the resistance, and I might have another cable somewhere).

As a last resort, would disassembling the box and removing the harddrive (a normal WD HDD) and then installing it in a PC be the answer?

SverreMunthe

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

Among the strange things that Microsoft has done with Windows 10.

They did that to try to convince people that it needed very little resources (disk space) to run it. dumb!