Question My bootable usb doesn't appear in the bios

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Not the USB. The system on which you made the drive bootable so that when you copy from USB to the folder and back no file is omitted.

On another note, you have to check with documentation on chipsets and your motherboard's manufacturer website but I don't think you can boot or install Windows 10 on some old systems with old chipsets and LGA 775 because of lack of drivers. Not quite sure if you can or can't on your board.

If you want to run Windows 10 a workaround that worked for some people and MIGHT for for you too. You can try is this:

You have to install Windows 7 and it's drivers, no need to update it. Then use the Win 7 to make a bootable optical disc or USB drive of of Windows 10 and upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Jul 21, 2019
Not the USB. The system on which you made the drive bootable so that when you copy from USB to the folder and back no file is omitted.

On another note, you have to check with documentation on chipsets and your motherboard's manufacturer website but I don't think you can boot or install Windows 10 on some old systems with old chipsets and LGA 775 because of lack of drivers. Not quite sure if you can or can't on your board.

If you want to run Windows 10 a workaround that worked for some people and MIGHT for for you too. You can try is this:

You have to install Windows 7 and it's drivers, no need to update it. Then use the Win 7 to make a bootable optical disc or USB drive of of Windows 10 and upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Is window 7 free

Jul 21, 2019

Do I need to make it bootable for win 7 now?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hold on, lets go back to the beginning. You do NOT need Windows 7 so lets end that idea.

First off you likely made your bootable drive incorrectly. Don't use Rufus. I do not know why people bother with telling people that method, its easy for someone unfamiliar to mess it up.

Go here and download the media creation tool on another working system

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Download Windows 10 May 2019 Update 64 Bit.

Use this tool to create a bootable USB, when you run it it will give you an option to do that, its very simple. This bootable USB will work on Fat32 which is what you need.

When you reboot and go into your BIOS with the drive inserted you need to select "BOOT FROM REMOVABLE DEVICE" . And you will see it there. Make sure you are using a USB port on the back panel of the motherboard just in case.

Do this and report back.

Reactions: Satan-IR
Jul 21, 2019
Hold on, lets go back to the beginning. You do NOT need Windows 7 so lets end that idea.

First off you likely made your bootable drive incorrectly. Don't use Rufus. I do not know why people bother with telling people that method, its easy for someone unfamiliar to mess it up.

Use this tool to create a bootable USB, when you run it it will give you an option to do that, its very simple. This bootable USB will work on Fat32 which is what you need.

When you reboot and go into your BIOS with the drive inserted you need to select "BOOT FROM REMOVABLE DEVICE" . And you will see it there. Make sure you are using a USB port on the back panel of the motherboard just in case.

Do this and report back.
So I need to use fat32?

Jul 21, 2019

Do this and report back.
And should I use aomei to make my usb bootable

Jul 22, 2019
I have not read the entire post, but could UEFI be the issue? Toggle the UEFI boot setting (May be labeled as "Legacy Boot" I think) and try then. I am no expert, but this has helped me with a similar issue.