Question My bootable usb doesn't appear in the bios

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok well theres a possibility you have bad hardware. If you go into the BIOS and it doesn't "see" the USB drive when you try to set it in the boot order or anything, and when you try to boot it doesn't even pick up the drive, that tells me there is a hardware issue.

The "install Windows 7 first" solution comes to trying to get certain drivers to load (some people have problems installing chipset or LAN drivers on Win 10). You can't even get that far.

If you paid for this stuff I'd suggest a refund. And next time get something newer anyway, those parts are ancient, if you can afford it even the cheapest 6th gen pentium is better.

Reactions: ConanLock
Jul 21, 2019
Ok well theres a possibility you have bad hardware. If you go into the BIOS and it doesn't "see" the USB drive when you try to set it in the boot order or anything, and when you try to boot it doesn't even pick up the drive, that tells me there is a hardware issue.

The "install Windows 7 first" solution comes to trying to get certain drivers to load (some people have problems installing chipset or LAN drivers on Win 10). You can't even get that far.

If you paid for this stuff I'd suggest a refund. And next time get something newer anyway, those parts are ancient, if you can afford it even the cheapest 6th gen pentium is better.
Ok so what should I do. Sell it?

If you were to sell it, make sure that it is clear that USB might not work. If you return it, they might get the USB working just send it back to you, and you'll have to pay postage. You should try to make a bootable windows 10 dvd, and install that, then see if USBs work within Windows (showing that it is probably a BIOS glitch), or if the USBs don't work (broken USB).

Jul 21, 2019
If you were to sell it, make sure that it is clear that USB might not work. If you return it, they might get the USB working just send it back to you, and you'll have to pay postage. You should try to make a bootable windows 10 dvd, and install that, then see if USBs work within Windows (showing that it is probably a BIOS glitch), or if the USBs don't work (broken USB).
How do I make a bootable dvd windows 10