[SOLVED] My Brand New Gaming Rig Keeps Freezing. Please Help.

Mushroom916

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 Wifi AX
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
Video Card: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 3200mhz
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus Plus Series 750W 80+ Gold
Storage: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 Nvme SSD

I just built my new gaming rig and it keeps freezing, it's completely random it froze when i was just on my desktop with nothing open, it froze while in a game, and it froze while just on Chrome. It's not overheating i keep a constant eye on temps. Windows is up to date. I have all appropriate drivers installed, including GPU. BIOS is up to date as well. I've been researching for the past couple of days trying different things and can't find a solution. I've adjusted my power settings in windows, I tried reinstalling windows, I just can't figure it out. It will freeze and restart automatically. Please help.

Mushroom916

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 Wifi AX
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
Video Card: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 3200mhz
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus Plus Series 750W 80+ Gold
Storage: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 Nvme SSD

I just built my new gaming rig and it keeps freezing, it's completely random it froze when i was just on my desktop with nothing open, it froze while in a game, and it froze while just on Chrome. It's not overheating i keep a constant eye on temps. Windows is up to date. I have all appropriate drivers installed, including GPU. BIOS is up to date as well. I've been researching for the past couple of days trying different things and can't find a solution. I've adjusted my power settings in windows, I tried reinstalling windows, I just can't figure it out. It will freeze and restart automatically. Please help.
Did you try to boot with only one memory stick? Check event log. Any lights/ beeps on motherboard? XMP profile? Turbo Boost?
I have not tried 1 stick. XMP is enabled.

Make sure the memory is in the correct slots...A2 and B2 are required for 2 stick configs.

Also verify your M.2 SSD is in the correct slot per the motherboard manual...some boards only have SATA support in one of the m.2 slots.

If you have the m.2 wifi card in try removing it to see if it is conflicting with your NVME drive.

Mushroom916

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
Make sure the memory is in the correct slots...A2 and B2 are required for 2 stick configs.

Also verify your M.2 SSD is in the correct slot per the motherboard manual...some boards only have SATA support in one of the m.2 slots.

If you have the m.2 wifi card in try removing it to see if it is conflicting with your NVME drive.
Yes they are in A2 and B2. The M.2 SSD is also in the correct slot i checked the manual. I just removed the M.2 Wifi card I will keep you posted.

Mushroom916

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
Is it still just a freeze or have you had any blue screens yet?

When you say "all appropriate drivers" are these from the Asrock website or from/using something else? What external devices are attached to the computer?
It's just a freeze i had 1 blue screen yesterday. I got my bios update from Asrock I didn't really download any drivers from there I meant drivers for my GPU and all the drivers that Windows update got automatically. As far as external devices all i have plugged in is my keyboard, mouse and headset.
BSOD yesterday said: Stop code: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
What failed: tcpip.sys

Mushroom916

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
K. Download all Windows 10 drivers from the Asrock webpage for your board. Don't depend on Windows finding all your drivers. Let us know if you still have errors after the driver update.
Ok this might sound stupid but i honestly don't know how to install them I know how to download them but idk where to install them.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
It might also be some RAM or HDD problem. If nothing else, also check your PSU if it is stable or not as it replicates all same symptoms as RAM and HDD. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it troubles you, sometimes it comes back ruining your day.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
how do i check if my PSU is stable?

You might want to do the basic trouble shooting first like the above people who commented on your thread. This is just for last resort.

But just in case, there's some symptoms before you test it using a real PSU tester:
  • unusual fans and led lights behaviour (too strong, too weak, unusual blinking led lights)
  • electric shock everywhere including the main case and the monitor
  • unusual spark when plugged in to wall socket
  • household lights dim when you turn the PC/PSU on
  • no boot, boots sometimes
  • passes the "paper clip test", fan spins but blows after several minutes.
  • repeating computer problems like hard drive corruption, freezing, etc.
  • same symptoms occurs when you put it on another PC
  • GPU malfunctioning (lacking power)
  • Monitor shows wavy lines, static lines, double vision, etc.
  • anti surge protection (of mobo) gets triggered

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I would not expect a Seasonic 750 to be causing issues. I know that no manufacturer is perfect, but the power supply wouldn't be my first guess (or my second) on this one.
Yea, me too. :) I suggest to do the basic trouble shooting first from CMOS to driver and RAM and everything. :) It's really the last resort.

It just happened to me that the culprit of my repeatetive computer problems, corruptions and freezing is a failing PSU.