Question My brand new PC doesn't boot after shutdown

Mar 5, 2021
Hi there
I've just built a new PC for myself, finally. I have quite a lot of experience building PCs, as i built many PCs for my friends, family members, etc. I had other problems before with those builds and I managed to solve them all. This time, it's different.
I'm running the following gear:
  • I9 10980 XE
  • Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
  • (Temp) 1x 16GB 3200 CL16 Kingston HyperX borrowed from my brother's PC
  • (Temp) GTX 1060, waiting for 3080Ti or 3090s to get to the "normal price"
  • EVGA 850 GQ
  • Aorus Cooler 360
Here's the deal, I had a problem prior to this one. The PC would shut down normally but after (from 30 seconds to 5 minutes) would boot up again. Updated to the latest BIOS, didn't solve it and crashed every time I turned on XMP Profile1 (this MoBo has 2 profiles, which profile 2 OCs the ram to 3600MHz. I didn't activate this setting at all). Frustrated, i rolled back to F1 (original) BIOS. PC still booted randomly. Turned out to be a problem with the dual Ethernet ports, I disabled the option that allowed the port to wake up the PC and boom, problem solved.
Things were looking great. I also study from home, so the PC was always on, 12h a day easily. The thing is, every night i turn off the power to all the electronics in my room using smart plugs, so the "new" problem didn't appear till one day i decided to turn the PC off while i was away. When i returned after 1 hour, the pc wouldn't want to boot. Here is a video of the problem recorded by me:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5-Qm_7-j0

Video explanation: I turn on the PC, FIRST time it tries to boot, stays ~2 minutes "booting" and doing the normal checking with the codes and stuff. Fast forward a bit and the PC turns OFF and ON by itself till i manually cut the power. After that, tries to boot again, around 2~3 times (may differ every time) and it resets the BIOS to its factory settings then the PC is able to boot.
The thing is that i don't understand why, I switched PSUs with my brother to an ASUS 850w and it caused the same problem.
If there are any details missing, just comment and i'll provide any detail is needed.
Thank you for reading!

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Hi there
I've just built a new PC for myself, finally. I have quite a lot of experience building PCs, as i built many PCs for my friends, family members, etc. I had other problems before with those builds and I managed to solve them all. This time, it's different.
I'm running the following gear:
  • I9 10980 XE
  • Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
  • (Temp) 1x 16GB 3200 CL16 Kingston HyperX borrowed from my brother's PC
  • (Temp) GTX 1060, waiting for 3080Ti or 3090s to get to the "normal price"
  • EVGA 850 GQ
  • Aorus Cooler 360
Here's the deal, I had a problem prior to this one. The PC would shut down normally but after (from 30 seconds to 5 minutes) would boot up again. Updated to the latest BIOS, didn't solve it and crashed every time I turned on XMP Profile1 (this MoBo has 2 profiles, which profile 2 OCs the ram to 3600MHz. I didn't activate this setting at all). Frustrated, i rolled back to F1 (original) BIOS. PC still booted randomly. Turned out to be a problem with the dual Ethernet ports, I disabled the option that allowed the port to wake up the PC and boom, problem solved.
Things were looking great. I also study from home, so the PC was always on, 12h a day easily. The thing is, every night i turn off the power to all the electronics in my room using smart plugs, so the "new" problem didn't appear till one day i decided to turn the PC off while i was away. When i returned after 1 hour, the pc wouldn't want to boot. Here is a video of the problem recorded by me:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5-Qm_7-j0

Video explanation: I turn on the PC, FIRST time it tries to boot, stays ~2 minutes "booting" and doing the normal checking with the codes and stuff. Fast forward a bit and the PC turns OFF and ON by itself till i manually cut the power. After that, tries to boot again, around 2~3 times (may differ every time) and it resets the BIOS to its factory settings then the PC is able to boot.
The thing is that i don't understand why, I switched PSUs with my brother to an ASUS 850w and it caused the same problem.
If there are any details missing, just comment and i'll provide any detail is needed.
Thank you for reading!
I had a similar experience, the system did not see the disk with Windows at startup, I reconnected the disk and it worked. But I'm not sure yet that this is your case.

Mar 5, 2021
I had a similar experience, the system did not see the disk with Windows at startup, I reconnected the disk and it worked. But I'm not sure yet that this is your case.

Hi Alex, I'm not sure i can do that, i have my M.2 connected in this PCIe "m.2 raid card" (it came with the MoBo and why not use it xd) https://www.gigabyte.com/es/Solid-State-Drive/AORUS-Gen4-AIC-Adaptor#kf
I will put the m.2 in the motherboard slot and try again. I'll post an update. Thank you for your response!

Mar 5, 2021
Unfortunately, nothing. I tried everything. Thinking about buying a 1200W PSU to see if it has to deal with the power spike at every startup.