[SOLVED] My brightness slider/option disappeared?Windows 10

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi, I am using Windows 10 pro(1903), with two display adapters which are the Intel(R)HD 630 and the Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb. I have tried to update both display adapters and the 'Generic PnP Monitor' but nothing has changed. There is no option to change brightness in the settings so as the slider in the notifications on the bottom right. Trying to change the brightness through the monitor its self is not good enough.
Are there any suggestions to fix this.?

Solution
try this 1st

try making a new user and see if it happens on it as well
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

just a test, much faster to make new user than recreate install again. if it works, you should log back into normal user, make new one admin, and copy contents of C:/users/old user folder on top of C:/users/new user folder
so it can have same access to installed files.

then just login to new user and all you have to do is set up browsers and maybe Steam/Onedrive if you used them before.

If that doesn't work, I would try a reset 1st rather than clean install

copy anything off C you want to save, just in case reset doesn't work.
go to...

Lutfij

Titan
See if you have any BIOS updates pending for your motherboard. In retrospect, did you reinstall the OS or was it an upgrade from the previous version? It's advised to reinstall your OS after creating your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

To note, did you use DDU to remove both the display adapters and then manually reinstalled the drivers with the latest off of Intel and Nvidia's support site?

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi, I did not use DDU for the display drivers simply because I just left it there and did not remove it manually. I have only reinstalled the OS once before and it was not an upgrade from a previous. I am confused on what you mean about reinstalling the OS after using the windows media creation tool?.
PC Specs: i5 7400, GTX 1060 3gb, 8gb corsair vengence, 600w PSU, 1TB HDD

Colif

Win 11 Master
it changed in 1903, it will only show in action centre now.

Select action center on the right side of the taskbar, and then move the Brightness slider to adjust the brightness. (If the slider isn't there, see the Notes section below.)

Some PCs can let Windows automatically adjust screen brightness based on the current lighting conditions. To find out if your PC supports this, go to Settings > System > Display. Under Brightness and color, look for the Change brightness automatically when lighting changes check box, and then select it to use this feature. This automatic setting helps make sure your screen is readable wherever you go. Even if you use it, you can still move the Change brightness for the built-in display slider to fine-tune the brightness level.

Notes:

• You might not see the Change brightness for the built-in display slider on desktop PCs that have an external monitor. To change the brightness on an external monitor, use the buttons on it.
  • The Brightness slider appears in action center in Windows 10, version 1903. To find the brightness slider in earlier versions of Windows 10, select Settings > System > Display, and then move the Change brightness slider to adjust the brightness.
  • If you don't have a desktop PC and the slider doesn't appear or work, try updating the display driver. In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results. In Device Manager, select Display adapters, then select the display adapter. Press and hold (or right-click) the display adapter name, then select Update driver and follow the instructions.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026946/windows-10-change-screen-brightness

If you installed win 10 once already, its possible just running a reset would make the option appear in action centre. Fresh install might be too far to go to fix it.

Last edited:

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
I checked in the windows action centre and it does not exist to show the brightness slider, even in the settings there is no option for brightness at all. Is the only way at this point is to do a fresh install of windows?

Colif

Win 11 Master
try this 1st

try making a new user and see if it happens on it as well
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

just a test, much faster to make new user than recreate install again. if it works, you should log back into normal user, make new one admin, and copy contents of C:/users/old user folder on top of C:/users/new user folder
so it can have same access to installed files.

then just login to new user and all you have to do is set up browsers and maybe Steam/Onedrive if you used them before.

If that doesn't work, I would try a reset 1st rather than clean install

copy anything off C you want to save, just in case reset doesn't work.
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under Reset this PC, choose get started
should be 2 choices
  1. choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
  2. Wipe everything.

I would take number 1.

Either choice, PC will restart and reinstall win 10 but keep any files/user details so its not completely from scratch.

Solution