My brother broke my laptop, it had important files! How can I salvage the HDD? (With Pictures!)

crossriver

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
Hey guys, as mentioned in the title, my brother punched my laptop or something idk what went down... but it's broken.

I read somewhere that I could easily take the hard drive out so I opened it up and I have no idea what I should do... Can I really get the files? :(

317ec804102583144ca16fd7434ea023.jpg

You're looking at the underside of the laptop

5117eaa0207cf3b25c23945bd02fa147.jpg

Is this it? Is this the hard drive?

Solution
Hi there crossriver,

What is the model of the laptop or of the HDD? I believe this should be a SATA drive.

Once you take it out, you can either attach it externally(SATA to USB adapter) or internally(SATA & power cables) to a working system. If you can't access the drive right away, you can use some data recovery software.

Keep in mind that HDDs are really vulnerable to shocks/hits. This is why, if you can't access the drive or if it makes any unusual sounds, then it may be a good idea to look for some professional help.(if the data is crucial)

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Jasjar

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
Take the ribbon cable off, remove any screws holding the HDD in place then you should be able to take it out. You should be able to buy a converter once you know what kind of connector it has

crossriver

Distinguished
May 30, 2012

Is the ribbon cable the big white band going across the HDD? I will check back tomorrow, and let you know what happens!

Hi there crossriver,

What is the model of the laptop or of the HDD? I believe this should be a SATA drive.

Once you take it out, you can either attach it externally(SATA to USB adapter) or internally(SATA & power cables) to a working system. If you can't access the drive right away, you can use some data recovery software.

Keep in mind that HDDs are really vulnerable to shocks/hits. This is why, if you can't access the drive or if it makes any unusual sounds, then it may be a good idea to look for some professional help.(if the data is crucial)

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution