[SOLVED] My brothers i5 3470 is thermal throttling!

Aug 31, 2020
So he doesnt do much on his pc, but i thought it would be a cool experience to upgrade an old pc with him.
Anyways, the cooler came with an i3 3240, and i just slapped an i5 3470 on it, it is faster, but the temps sit at like 40-50 while idling, and while doing anything harder pretty much just goes straight to 105.
idk whats going on, the cpu is second hand, and i used some cheap thermal paste. What should we do?

Solution
Might be that the CPU cooler he is using is too small. The i3-3240 is a 55W (TDP) processor, while the i5-3470 is a 77W (TDP) processor. If the cooler is a stock Intel cooler, that would be the first place I'd look.

But the temps seem to be too high for that alone to be the issue. If using a stock Intel cooler, check that all 4 push-pin feet on the cooler are expanded behind the motherboard. The black post should be flush with the white fingers on the protruding posts.
If you can't access the back of the motherboard easily, then reseat each post individually once again. Best doing this with the case laying on the side if you have a tower. While keeping gentle pressure against the cooler to keep it from moving, rotate...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Might be that the CPU cooler he is using is too small. The i3-3240 is a 55W (TDP) processor, while the i5-3470 is a 77W (TDP) processor. If the cooler is a stock Intel cooler, that would be the first place I'd look.

But the temps seem to be too high for that alone to be the issue. If using a stock Intel cooler, check that all 4 push-pin feet on the cooler are expanded behind the motherboard. The black post should be flush with the white fingers on the protruding posts.
If you can't access the back of the motherboard easily, then reseat each post individually once again. Best doing this with the case laying on the side if you have a tower. While keeping gentle pressure against the cooler to keep it from moving, rotate one post's black thumb tab CCW and lift up as far as it will go. (Remember to hold the cooler against the board as you do this so it doesn't come loose) Turn it back CW and firmly press back down. Be sure you hear/feel a 'click'. If you don't hear/feel a 'click', it isn't seated right. Repeat for each post.

Solution
Aug 31, 2020

If you can't access the back of the motherboard easily, then reseat each post individually once again. Best doing this with the case laying on the side if you have a tower. While keeping gentle pressure against the cooler to keep it from moving, rotate one post's black thumb tab CCW and lift up as far as it will go. (Remember to hold the cooler against the board as you do this so it doesn't come loose) Turn it back CW and firmly press back down. Be sure you hear/feel a 'click'. If you don't hear/feel a 'click', it isn't seated right. Repeat for each post.
Ay man, the black pins weren't all the way in, the temps are nice and under 75 now. Thank you ahahahaha.
You should see the smile on my little guy.

TRENDING THREADS