[SOLVED] My buddy's PC broke after running a minecraft server

May 10, 2019
My buddy ran a minecraft server between me and him for about a month without issues. Today he went AFK and his PC shut down, closing the server, and he said it wouldn't turn back on.

I asked him his specs, and he says he doesn't know his PSU, but he has:

Intel 970
Nvidia GTX 670
8gb DDR4 (idk speed)
I will update when he tells me his PSU.

Also FYI, the server was running on 2gb ram and his game was running on 4gb. 2gb left should have been enough to not cause any issues.
And the server is modded; 125 mods.

Solution
What anyone was doing (be it Notepad, MInecraft, or watching Youtube) when it shutdown is not really relevant...

When an 8 or 9 year old system won't power on anymore, it could be anything...

PSU is always a first suspect, and easiest thing to swap to swap out. (If modular, do NOT reuse any modular cables from old PSU with new PSU, or you can fry things in quite short order upon power up, as we've had folks learn when frying 3-5 internal drives, including 2 SSDs, totaling $500-$600 in value almost instantly)
What anyone was doing (be it Notepad, MInecraft, or watching Youtube) when it shutdown is not really relevant...

When an 8 or 9 year old system won't power on anymore, it could be anything...

PSU is always a first suspect, and easiest thing to swap to swap out. (If modular, do NOT reuse any modular cables from old PSU with new PSU, or you can fry things in quite short order upon power up, as we've had folks learn when frying 3-5 internal drives, including 2 SSDs, totaling $500-$600 in value almost instantly)

Solution