[SOLVED] My buddy's system just shuts off after powering it on, and HDD makes concerning noises

Jan 19, 2021
[VIDEO FOR REFERENCE: View: https://imgur.com/9T7OFGd
]

My specs:
i7-8700 with stock fan and heatsink
GTX 1060
16GB Ram (8x2) 2400mhz
Intel 400ishGB M.2 SSD
2TB Seagate HDD
500W CORSAIR PSU
H500 CoolerMaster Case

In the video you can tell the HDD is making a loud noise then clicking out and the whole system turns off, we reseated the CPU, GPU, RAM (in every way we could), the M.2 & HDD, We REPLACED the HDD & nothing is making a difference.
We just want to know what the problem is, thanks!

Solution
Cheap model Seagate drives use head parking, it's a similar concept to windshield wipers that hide away when shut off. They are well known for clicking and making noise when that happens.

I'd start with cleaning the pc. There's an obvious amount of debris in the cpu heatsink and stock coolers have 0 headroom for lack of air flow.

Eliminate as many possibilities as you can, it narrows down the options as to whats probable.

Ralston18

Titan
Clarify: two HDD's clicked... The original HDD and the replacement?

==========

How old is that 500W Corair PSU?

Heavy use for gaming, video editing, even bit-mining?

And a clicking HDD is a sign of a coming failure. (Note: I could not hear any sound. The speaker icon in your video appears to be muted.)

Do you have all the HDD data backed up and proven to be recoverable and readable?

Remember that anything you do could cause more damage and/or data loss.

Jan 19, 2021
Clarify: two HDD's clicked... The original HDD and the replacement?

==========

How old is that 500W Corair PSU?

Heavy use for gaming, video editing, even bit-mining?

And a clicking HDD is a sign of a coming failure. (Note: I could not hear any sound. The speaker icon in your video appears to be muted.)

Do you have all the HDD data backed up and proven to be recoverable and readable?

Remember that anything you do could cause more damage and/or data loss.

1. Both did click, however original HDD sounded a lot worse & a lot louder, both clicked.

2. 500W Corsair PSU is about 1 week old, never used before initial test.

3. No heavy use ever really, used for minor gaming & work, no mining or heavy video editing.

4. Unfortunately yeah the video doesn't have sound here is one with sound, [ https://streamable.com/5rqmb0 ] let me know what you think this sound means, THIS IS THE ORIGINAL HDD.

5. No we never backed it up unfortunately, my buddy doesn't really care about the files that are on the drive however, he just wants a working pc.

6. Alright I'll keep that in mind.

Ralston18

Titan
I could hear the clicking - may be in part due to the PC simply shutting down in mid boot.

Noted what appears to be a lot of dust in the CPU fan.

Wondering if a thermal shutdown is happening. Has the CPU's thermal paste ever been cleaned off and reapplied?

Jan 19, 2021
I could hear the clicking - may be in part due to the PC simply shutting down in mid boot.

Noted what appears to be a lot of dust in the CPU fan.

Wondering if a thermal shutdown is happening. Has the CPU's thermal paste ever been cleaned off and reapplied?

We reapplied the thermal solution about 30 minutes before first initial bootup, we also waited for it to dry.
Do you think the dust in the CPU Heatsink is causing a thermal shutdown?

Ralston18

Titan
If the dust is thick enough to inhibit air flows (and thus cooling) yes. But I would expect to see the temperatures climb beforehand and not necessarily an immediate shut down.

What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it? "waited for it to dry" does not seem right.....

When a system unexpectedly powers down, due to something, the heads on spindle hard drives auto-park themselves, which could be the 'clicking' you are hearing.
Does the system turn itself off without any hard drives attached or can you at least get into BIOS without the drives?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cheap model Seagate drives use head parking, it's a similar concept to windshield wipers that hide away when shut off. They are well known for clicking and making noise when that happens.

I'd start with cleaning the pc. There's an obvious amount of debris in the cpu heatsink and stock coolers have 0 headroom for lack of air flow.

Eliminate as many possibilities as you can, it narrows down the options as to whats probable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS