My build for non reference 290x.

Limbothefirst

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Hello guys, Im building a new gaming pc, but am waiting to get a 290x, it seems like the best choice for "future proofing" and value. This will be my first build.

Are you thinking about getting a 290x too?
Are you planing a new build too? If so feel free to post it, Iv love to see it.

so what do you think, is there anything I could improve?

CPU- I7 4770K
(For next gen games)

CPU Fan- Noctua NH-14

MOBO- Asus Z87-A
(Should I get a pro sabertooth for better cooling (for better heat-sinks, armour)?

GPU- Non reference 290x :) ? sapphire toxic ? :)
(Will Upgrade to crossfire down the line)

RAM- G-Skill Sniper
(Cheap, Looks good in most rigs (Black), Dont need more than 8GB's probs 4GB would be ok.

SSD- Samsung 250GB EVO, already have two 500 GB HDD's,

Will the Mobo fit all three?

Sound card- Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz
(I would like to get onto my music a bit more)

Is a inbuilt sound card really a replacement for a true purpose made one?... Really I don't know.

Case- Cooler master HAF 912

Will the mid case be sufficient space and air flow? is there a better case for performance? Id like a more plane looking case, like the bitfenix ones, but air flow is more important. Is a cooler master one the best for that? Should I go full tower?

Power- Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 1000W 80 PLUS Gold
(Cheapest 1000w one I can find)
Is this overkill? I do wont crossfire 290x later, and inbuilt wifi later.

OS- Windows 7 home edition

(Is windows 8.1 Light years ahead than 7 in any way?)

DVD- already have one from laptop (blue ray).
(same connections as Desktop one's, but just mite sit funny in case..... HAY! ITS FREE OK!
DON'T JUGE ME!
Thanks for your time, what do you think?

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013

+1 also Windows 8.1 has built in recognition and optimization for SSDs, 7 doesn't. However there are tons of bugs and glitches in 8.1 right now, which is why I have yet to jump on the bandwagon. That build looks like a very solid build however I have a few suggestions:

1) get a bigger case if you are going to be crossfiring R9-290X's down the line as they will probably still produce a lot of heat, and your CPU is going to be air cooled as well. I would suggest a Corsair 750D

2) with that heat sink, double check to make sure your RAM is compatible (http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en)

3) get a better PSU, do not cheap out on it, especially if you are going to be crossfiring 290X's, and I assume overclocking your 4770K. (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic)

Other than that, a solid build!

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
If you want Gskill ram (which is my preference) Get a set of the black ripjaws They will fit under your cooler. I agree that you want at least 8 gb of ram if you want to be a serious gamer, BF4 + windows will already go over 4gb. If you're sure you want to CF later that PS is fine, if not it's pretty overkill. I have that case it is a very large mid sized case that can fit 2x large cards, but it is still a mid sized case, if you add the second card you'll want to add fans to the case to get the heat out. There are lots of options when it comes to that case on adding fans, the top and side both have grills for additional large fans.

Look up the Rosewill Throne, how do you like that?
And as far as PSU's go I recommend XFX, Seasonic, OCZ, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013

I would recommend a Corsair 750D (comes with great fans, has great airflow and nice clean look, also great if you wanted to expand to watercooling later on) and a Corsair AX1200 for the PSU